twenty one: roommates

[trigger warning: drug abuse mentions]

"So, you might know happened?"

Frank sighed, with Scott following him down the road. He shoved his hands in his pockets, the wind whipping under his arms and sending goosebumps down his entire body. His head ached, the banging pulsating loudly. "No, Scott I can't possibly guess"

"The fucking dog pissed in my shoe" Scott exclaimed, causing Frank to turn around with a frown on his face. Scott's arms were outstretched and his brows raised. Frank wanted to laugh at his stupidity but he was too annoyed.

"That was it?" Frank asked, coming to a complete standstill in the middle of the street. Scott did the same, still staring at Frank. He scoffed loudly, walking off at a faster pace without letting Scott catch him up. "I can't believe you sometimes"

"It's a big deal!" Scott shouted, running down the road quickly to catch up. His bag fell down his arm and he yanked it off, bunching the handle up and holding it instead. "I need to get out of that apartment, Frank, I don't know how Mason stands it. I don't know how he can live with two dogs"

"Just go home, Scott. The house is in your name, kick Elise out" Frank snapped. "She has parents to go back to or a friend with a shitty fancy house she can live in. She's from Brooklyn, they're all rich as dancing dogs"

"Yeah but you know what will happen then, don't you? She'll take Jesse with her and I'll never see him again" Scott snapped, throwing the bag back over his shoulder. Frank turned with a frown on his face, the two of them glaring at each other. Scott then shook his head, his frown disappearing. "I can't do that, Frank, I'll go insane"

Frank went silent for a second, pulling his hands from his pockets. He scratched the back of his neck, Scott walking ahead of him silently. Frank was usually the silent one and he felt awkward that Scott wasn't talking. "Don't bust your balls over this but, you can stay with me for a while, till you sort all this shit out"

Scott scoffed, turning back toward him quickly. His eyes widened and Frank rolled his instantly, now wishing for Scott's minute of silence. It was more pleasing, no matter how awkward Frank felt. "Seriously?"

"Don't overreact," Frank snapped, shoving his hands in his pockets once again. "I stay at Karen's most nights anyway so you can stay at mine. Just do not sleep in my bed, that's fucking weird"

"Why the fuck would I do that?" Scott asked, gleefully. He laughed, slapping Frank on the back loudly. "Thanks, Frank. Thank you. You're not going to regret this, I'm going to be the best roommate ever. I'll even pay you rent, I don't care!"

"Don't sweat it" He replied, "I have one condition"

"Is it a game-changer?" Scott asked.

"You take Elise to court" Frank answered. "I can dig into that Mailman's background, find something that the court would red flag. They'd have to put Jesse with you, they wouldn't trust Elise to bring him up on her own. From what I've heard from you, Elise isn't a good parent anyway. You used to clock off shifts early to look after Jesse, cause she was out everywhere. And now she has a new guy? Come on, Scott"

Scott just went silent and Frank's phone ringing filled it. He pulled it out of his pocket and saw Karen's name on the screen. "You gotta do it, Scott" He put the phone to his ear, looking over his shoulder before speaking. "Hey, is everything-"

"Where are you?" She asked quickly. Her voice was quiet and Frank frowned instantly. He gripped the phone tighter in his hand, Scott turning toward him as he stopped speaking quickly. He tried speaking to Frank, but he frowned at him and pushed his face away from him.