going out of town

"Attention all students and faculty. Our mayor, Rudolph Giuliani, has ordered lower Manhattan to be evacuated, so we will be calling your parents to let them know you are safe and need to be taken out of town, at least for the day. Thank you."

Well, it looks like I'm going home with Ally for the day...or longer. Yeah, probably longer.

"I'm coming with you, Ally." I mumble into her shirt. "I know you are. Just try to stay calm for me, okay?" She responds. I nod, closing my eyes tightly and trying to get my mind off of the whole situation.

That probably won't work.

A few minutes go by and someone's already going home. I'm actually sort of hoping my mom and brother didn't go to my dad's work today, and might pick me up. But that's out of the question; I already called, and nobody picked up. Sigh. For the millionth time today.

"Alls?" I grab her attention. "Yes, babe?" She asks. "If they don't make it...what do I do?" I ask so quietly that it's hard to even hear my voice. "Come with us...we'll figure it out with you," she says sweetly. Nodding, I take her hands into my shaky ones.

My attention is turned towards the now ringing phone on Mr. Thompson's desk. He goes over to answer it and I listen for my name, but it doesn't come up. I look back to Ally and I's hands, devastated.

Yeah, I've lost all hope..
_____
After about 20 minutes, Ally finally gets to go home. We tell the teacher my whole situation and he gives us permission to leave together. Thank you, Mr. Thompson.

"So... I believe we're heading past the damage of the attack because my house is west of the World Trade Center, so–" I cut her off. "No, I won't close my eyes, if that's what you're worried about." "Why?" I hesitate. "Because it's gonna be hard to look away..."

I feel a tug at my hand and I look down to see her intertwining our fingers. "Stay strong, Aus."

No more words were said between us as we walked into the front office. Ally's parents were already waiting for us with open arms. Well, at least for Ally.

"Oh..how are you sweetie? You're okay, right?" Her mom, Penny bombards her with questions, all of which she just answers with a huge hug. Her father, Mr. Dawson (his real name is Lester but he doesn't allow me to call him that, to keep it professional), walks over to me and gives me a pat on the back.

"You alright?" He asks and I nod bashfully. We've always had good relationship, but I still feel diffident around him. I'm always afraid of disappointing him. He's not one of those overprotective fathers that you see in movies, but more of a loving father who just wants the best for his daughter. Luckily he thinks I'm good for her, but I don't know...I just hope I don't mess up.

"Austin, hi!" Penny embraces me in her arms. I sigh over her shoulder and close my eyes lightly. I feel more comfortable around her.

We release and she inundates me with questions. I'm still in shock from what had happened not too long ago, and I'm so worried about my family, so I answer the best I can. They were all about me and my classmates, though, not my family. Probably because she figures they didn't make it.

I can understand why.

Penny said that it would be best to stay close together when we walk to the car, and we all agreed. I mean, who knows what other dangers there might be out there?
______
"So, Austin." I shift my eyes to the rear view mirror to see Mr. Dawson looking at me, just as he turns his attention back to the road. "Yes?" "Do you want to go to the hospital and see if your family is there, and alright?" He doesn't take long to respond, seeing that there's a huge traffic jam ahead of us. Biting the inside of my cheek, I think.