LESSON #7: Never underestimate your dad.

It wasn't until we returned home that Dad finally gave my phone back. I managed to survive an entire week without it. Who knew?

As soon as I dropped my luggage on the bed, I flopped down next to it and started up Facebook. I had a few choice words to share with my friends about the dictatorial way my dad had confiscated my phone. They were sure to be appalled.

When my page loaded up, I was surprised to find photos there that I'd never seen before. Photos posted to my page without my knowledge. Photos that were, according to the headings, posted by me. "What the—?"

Each one featured me sometime during our week in Cancun. None of them had captions, but the pictures were so beautiful, words really weren't needed. There I was on the balcony in front of the most gorgeous sunset. Me in the pool, looking quite good in my swimsuit, high-fiving Dave. Me in a restaurant laughing with the waiter. Me in front of a jetski, Juan holding my hand. And finally, me under a bright yellow parachute under a blue, blue sky, laughing while Mom beamed.

It was a photo essay of my vacation, each photograph masterfully depicting me as that fun girl you see in brochures that makes other girls envious.

I was in shock.

"Dad?" I found him in the kitchen digging in the fridge.

"What's up?" He emerged with a jar of pickles.

I showed him the pictures.

He grinned.

"Did you do this?"

"Maybe." He popped the jar open and fished out a pickle.

"How? Did you hack into my account or something?"

He made a great show of biting off a piece and chewing thoughtfully. "Well, I never said I couldn't use your phone during the trip."

My mouth hung open.

Dad stuck a pickle into it and walked away.

My phone chimed.

It was a text message from Carter.

Looking good, Lisa, it said. Wanna go out tomorrow?

As if.

I smiled as I realized something.

I didn't need him anymore.

Plus, Dad was kind of awesome.

***

The setting for this story was inspired by an actual vacation I took to Cancun. In fact, I wrote most of it during that vacation, and finished it during the flight back! The cover for this story is from an actual vacation photo. Parasailing is amazing, by the way. Not nearly as scary as I thought it would be. If you ever get the chance to do it, DO IT! It's. So. FUN!

Thank you for reading! If you enjoyed this story, I'd be honored if you'd consider clicking the Vote button. It helps other people like you to find and enjoy it, and it helps me figure out which stories are working. Thanks again, and have a fantastic day!