Pink Noise

Sooo, here's something I started writing and then didn't . . . like a year ago. Anyway, it was going to be about a boy with undiagnosed misophonia. I might pick it back up at some point, but for now, here's (what I wrote of) the first chapter.

XXX

Chapter 1

So she was considering in her own mind--shouting--as well as she--Chewing--could, for the hot day made her--shrieking--feel--scratching--very--footsteps--

Bryan slammed the book shut in frustration. He could feel tears pushing behind his eyes as he covered his ears, but the sound continued to push in. Holding his breath, the boy counted to five in an attempt to calm himself. It didn't work. The knot of tension in his stomach only grew.
Then he heard the distinct sound of the dishwasher starting and finally screamed.

Ever since he'd come back inside from his almost five-hour walk, that scream had been building up inside of him. He had folded it up, kept it somewhere down hidden in his stomach. When it ripped out of his throat, he slammed his head down on the desk and wrapped his arms around his ears.

"Bryan, honey? Are you okay?" The sound of his mother's footsteps on the stairs forced the tears out of his eyes. When the door opened, hinges scraping, he let out a frustrated growl. "Bry? What's wrong?"

He looked up to see his mother standing in the now unbarricaded doorframe, her usual frazzled look dragging down her face. The sounds of his four siblings flooded in through the opening, prodding more tears from his reddening eyes.

"Can you make them be quiet for a few minutes," he whispered, "Please?"

His mother pursed her lips, her forehead creasing. "I'll ask them. But you know how hard it is to get everyone quiet."

Bryan rubbed his palm over his eyes. The sun was just done setting, and his vision was beginning to blur. The words Alice In Wonderland swam in front of him as he pushed the book off the desk in frustration. "I hate them."

"Bryan!" She snapped. "That's not a nice thing to say."

"I know."

His mom sighed deeply, and although Bryan was no longer looking at her, he knew that her eyebrows were drawn together and her lips pressed white, her trademark stressed look. "Care to take out the trash?"

As strange as it might sound, this was what Bryan recognized as her compromise. "Yes," he said. He pushed past her, eager to reach the relative silence of his backyard.

XXX

So, apparently that's all I wrote of that.

If you don't know, misophonia is a medical condition where someone has a strong reaction to certain sounds. It's pretty rare but incredibly hard to live with. It can lead to chronic anxiety, depression, and more. 

Anyway, hope you liked the chapter!