Chapter Eight

Dr. Mary sat behind the steel desk with her arms crossed over her chest. She sent a dark glare in our direction before shaking her head. Her hidden anger was bubbling to the surface.

She begun to ramble about how lucky we were that Dr. Manor hadn't noticed the absence of his successful projects. She couldn't imagine the punishment she would have received if he had. She continually asked if we desired her dead.

Oceana sunk in her dull fold out chair, tugging the strings to her navy hoodie. Her big black sunglasses concealing the obvious eye roll she gave. She still wasn't open to the idea of forgiving Dr. Mary for her earlier retort.

She made her annoyance with the older woman quite clear on our way to the office this morning.

"When did you become such a selfish bitch, Mary?"

Dr. Mary didn't even cringe at the assault. She tapped her black heels into the tile floor while a tight smile crept onto her thin face. Her straight face never falling.

"I've always been a bitch, darling." She honeyed as a folder slid before Oceana, "you just were too lost in your own emotions to see that."

I quickly grabbed onto Oceana's sleeve in hope to stop her from thinking about attacking. She couldn't use her inhuman powers against the doctor's daughter. If she tried, the doctor definitely punish her.

Dr. Mary stood up and headed across the office to the exit almost ready to leave. She waited a second at the door for Oceana to respond but when she heard nothing her presence went away.

I dropped my grip off Oceana, watching as she shook. She held tightly onto her thighs. Her breathing a bit heavier.

She put her forehead on the desk and sighed, "she drives me crazy."

If only we had left after our trip to pharmacy and never gone to Barney's then none of this be happening. I shouldn't have agreed on spending more than two hours in that booth with Dark Shadow. Even if it was a night to remember.

Why was it so hard to say no to him?

"I'm sorry-" a hand went over my mouth before I could continue.

Oceana sat up and sent a dark scowl, "don't apologize. There is nothing to apologize for. Honestly."

"But-" I tried to say through her palm but failed.

"Did you have a good time?" She asked.

"Well yeah but-"

"But nothing, that's all that matters." Oceana gathered the file folder in her hands and smirked, "so who do you prefer Mr. Dandelion or Dark Shadow?"

I felt the heat rise into my cheeks. Last night was almost the same as the other. We sat together and spoke-except this time when he inquired for more it made my whole being feel warm.

His smoky voice drew me closer. It took my thoughts on a wild rollercoaster full of possibilities. They were mostly fantasies but seemed possible when his concentration was on the words I spun. Those chapped lips merely inches away while he awed with interest.

Oceana noticed the giddy expression on my face at the sound of his name. She didn't need an answer. She let the folder fall into my lap and told me to take the job. If I was lucky, he'd come visit Madam Nature for a rendezvous.

"I'll tell Dr. Manor you were more equipped to handle this job than I was."

We were getting ready to head out to the lab for training when Oceana said she was going to find the doctor first thing. She thought it'd be better to alert him first chance of the change rather than wait until later. She always was one step ahead.

After she left, I relaxed in the empty office and flipped through the folder.

There was a personal report of a gentleman with slick back dark hair. Behind all the wrinkles were two bright brown orbs that held a spark of rebellion. He grinned dangerously at the camera.

Cresswood Black, I read to myself going through his basic information.

Height was six foot' three, weight: two hundred and thirty pounds, age: forty, martial status: widowed, relatives: n/a, and job: chemist.

He seemed normal besides being extremely smart with all the diplomas listed under his accomplishments. It didn't make sense why Dr. Manor place this along with a mission. This man couldn't have been involved in something, right?

Wrong.

At the bottom of the page Dr. Manor had scribbled the words: scare straight.

***

The last place I thought my alter ego would be spending the evening was on the roof of a man's home. Third Avenue didn't have the same quality as the other places the doctor sent me. This neighborhood was more lavished.

Cookie cutter houses lined the streets. Unlocked shiny BMWs parked outside. Their garages wide open.

It didn't make sense. How could people be so careless? Did they have nothing to fear here?

I tangled the fresh ivy around my finger tips while pondering this with hopes to find a decent answer. The plant reacted affectionately to the game, dodging my every attempt to capture a leaf. It was a well needed distraction to keep me from feeling wrong.

Dr. Manor gave no reason why Mr. Black deserved to be frighten. He only knew Mr. Black did something he didn't like and wanted to give him a warning not to do what he did again. So he sent me as the deliver.

The idea of having to terrify this man for unknown actions didn't sit quite right in my stomach. If what he did was as bad as Dr. Manor made it out to be wouldn't Mr. Black already feel guilty? Why did we have to push him over the edge?

I let the ivy fall still out of my spell and considered racing back home but knew deep inside not finishing the job was basically asking for a beating.

And I don't want to see how Dark Shadow would react if he saw me with a newly busted lip.

"Alright," I breathed out, "we can do this. It's only one simple threat."

I easily descended down the roof onto a small marble balcony with the help of the ivy. There between me and my target was a curtain. It broadcasted a shadow of the man on the fabric.

The ivy snuck in first scouting the area and after finding another ounce of courage, I snuck into the low lit master bedroom with a dark expression.

"Mr. Black," I growled, "this is a warning."

In the corner of the evergreen room stood Dark Shadow looking quite stunned. His jaw hanging agape and face mask less. He was at a lost for words- just like me.

My mind couldn't quite grasp the concept. It wasn't impossible but unbelievable. How could Dark Shadow be Mr. Dandelion?