Chapter IV

Kai started taking Lynden back to her cottage. On their way, Kai heard a rustling in the bushes near him. "Who's there?" Kai asked. "I-Is it a squirrel?" Lynden asked, staying close to Kai. "Wrong." A deep voice replied. 

The tall boy came out of the bushes, wearing a coat with a hat covering his face to hide his identity. "Who are you?" Kai asked. "The question is...Who are you?" The stranger asked. 

"None of your business," Kai replied, scowling at the stranger. "Clever boy." The stranger said. "Leave us alone. We don't want anything to do with you." Kai said. Lynden stayed closer next to Kai for protection. 

"Let's go, Lynden," Kai said, trying to go around the stranger. The stranger blocked Kai's and Lynden's way. "Oh, you're not going anywhere." The stranger said, pulling out a knife. "Oh, my gosh!" Lynden screamed. "Lynden..." Kai said, closing his eyes. 

"Y-Yes, Kai?" Lynden asked. "Run. Now." Kai told her. "B-But what about you?" Lynden asked. "Just go, please. I don't want you to get hurt." Kai told her after a tear from his eye came running down his cheek. "I love you, Kai," Lynden said, starting to cry. 

"I love you, too," Kai said, giving Lynden a kiss goodbye. "Now go, I'll hold him off," Kai said. "O-Okay..." Lynden said running away, getting back to her cottage. "Aww, so sad to see that your girl left you alone, short stack." The stranger said. 

Kai started noticing that he heard that from Zeke earlier in the morning. "Short stack? Zeke?" Kai asked. The stranger took his hat off and it was Zeke. "You damn right it's me! You took my girl away! Now I'm going to stab you in the heart!" 

Zeke replied, loudly ,waving his blade back and forth. Kai looked around for a weapon to use against Zeke. He found a huge stick next to a tree to use as a weapon. Zeke tried to strike Kai but he missed. Kai whacked Zeke in his leg. 

"Gah! You're gonna pay for that!" Zeke yelled then cut Kai's arm with his blade. "Ugh!" Kai yelled in pain. "Just leave us alone!" Kai yelled as he whacked Zeke on the head. Kai's attack knocked out Zeke and got him unconscious. 

Kai breathed heavily after the fight, then ran back to his farmhouse. As he got back into his house, Abilene was cooking dinner for him and Magnar. "Hi, honey, would you like some-- Oh, my goodness!" Abilene exclaimed as she saw the cut on Kai's arm. 

"Son, what happened to you?!" Magnar asked. "A kid named Zeke gave me a cut with his blade," Kai replied. "Oh, my goodness! Where are the bandages?" Abilene asked Magnar. "They're in the cabinet," Magnar replied. 

Abilene grabbed the bandages and wrapped them around Kai's arm. "Oh, my poor baby," Abilene said, crying. "I'm fine, mother," Kai said. "No, you're not. You need bedrest right now. Keep the pressure on the wound," Magnar said. "Okay," Kai said, going upstairs to his room.