Part 8

Carla

Wendy was using a table to shield herself from the worst of the crossfire. Carla flew over to help her keep the table up.

"Hey, Carla, did you feel that?"

"Feel what exactly?" Carla feigned ignorance.

"This big surge of magical energy. It felt really sad." Wendy's innocence, yet again, overpowered her and Carla felt herself weakening against it.

"Well, I guess I did feel it..." Carla begun, unsure how to start explaining.

Pantherlily

After explaining what had happened to Gajeel, Lily had decided to ask if anything seemed different.

"I wonder if anything happened in response to the lacrima being broken," he started. Spotting Levy at the next table, he called over to her. "Levy, can you help us with something?"

When Levy looked around, she scowled at Gajeel and refused to answer.

"Is she OK?" he asked. Gajeel merely grunted in disgust.

Lily looked from Gajeel to Levy and back to Gajeel. Something's not right. Is this the effect of that lacrima?

Happy

"Hey, Natsu!" Happy cried.

"Happy, my man! Where'd you disappear to!" Natsu replied sounding way too animated.

"I was giving Carla the lacrima I found," Happy said.

"How'd it go?"

"Worse than usual. For some reason, Carla flipped out and broke it."

"Honestly, women," Natsu tched.

"Excuse me," Lucy had picked up on their conversation from a few tables over. "What did you say?"

"Hon-est-ly-wo-men," said Natsu, ennunciating each syllable as if her were talking to a foreigner. "And don't act like you didn't hear, I know you were eavesdropping like the sly b**** you are."

"Natsu, are you OK?" Happy asked, genuinely scared now. The odd argument was common between these two but this was something different.

"How dare you! I'd return the insult but you don't have the brains to be sly so I guess that you're just a perverted b******!"

The insults flew and Happy decided that he didn't want to watch anymore, lest he be caught in the crossfire. He left to find Carla to, hopefully, fix whatever had happened.

Cherry

I searched the guildhall for signs of the lacrima. It had to be here. So where is it? Oh, please, let me find it before it's too late.

On my hands and knees now, I checked under tables and chairs. "Are you looking for something?" a kind voice asked me. Looking up, I saw the guild's white-haired bartender, Mirajane. She helped me up and I thanked her.

"Have you seen a small lacrima, about this size," I put my finger and thumb 3 cm apart, "and kind of iridescent?"

"That sounds like the lacrima Happy had," she explained.

"Do you know where it is now?" I asked, eager to deactivate its spell.

"It ... got broken."

My heart stopped. "W-what?"

Mirajane looked really sorry. "Carla broke it, by accident of course. I've just cleared up the shards."

"Where are they?" I blurted out.

"Well, I just left them in the waste bins behind the bar-" Mirajane trailed off as I rushed to find the bins.

One bin was just glass. I saw the shards in among them, now as dull as the rest of the broken glass. How was I going to fix it now? If I missed a single bit, the spell couldn't be broken.

Refusing to give up hope, I asked Mirajane if I could have all the shards. She had barely said yes before I hauled the bag out of the bin and started sorting them into a pile of definitely glass and possibly lacrima. It was going to be a long night...