THREE: Equuleus

"I'll take a gin and tonic along with a house tap, please." My eyes travel to the blonde girl in front of me, tall redhead firmly in place behind her.

They're giggling together like they're the only people in the packed bar, and it's kind of sweet to see. I work on the drinks like machinery, mind entirely somewhere else. I had about fifteen minutes left of my shift, Phoenix and Frankie on their way now.

I'd been on autopilot today. Originally, I was supposed to be here for the closing shift, but because my job is incapable of keeping people, I'd had to work a double.

It wasn't even that I was tired, I'd become accustomed to working long hours at the bar, I was just bored. And I wanted to be in my fucking bed.

I cash the girl's tab, smiling slightly when her drunkenness decides to leave an absurdly good tip. I put my slips away when I hear an argument to my left.

"As usual, you're wrong. Just so stupidly wrong." I hear my brother say, followed by my best friend.

"I've never been wrong a day in my life." Frankie says, and before I know it, they're both in front of me, sitting at the bar.

I roll my eyes, grabbing a seltzer out of the fridge behind me and opening it for Phoenix, before making Frankie her favorite— a sex on the beach.

The lights are low, delicate ambiance coating the atmosphere. I'm about to interject when Phoenix says, "Theo, are you done yet?"

I roll my eyes, finishing my closing duties. "Yes, oh patient one. Finish your drink and I'll be ready."

I cash out their drinks, and even though I give them the discount of the century, they always tip me one hundred percent.

I'm not really listening to their argument start up again as I take my apron off. I get my tips and I'm off, heading to Phoenix's
car in the dark of the night.

I'm settling into the passenger seat when Frankie starts. "So..."

I know that tone. When Frankie pulls that, I know I'm not gonna like what she has to say. I groan, throwing my head back atop the seat. "What, Francesca?"

Phoenix looks from her to me, something glimmering in his eyes. It takes me all of three seconds to realize they're about to ambush me.

"There's this party on campus tonight." Phoenix chimes in, fiddling with the aux, settling on an old Justin Bieber song.

"Well, have so much fun. Don't forget to bring your keys." I smile sarcastically, shutting it down immediately.

"Theo!" Frankie whines, leaning forward from the backseat. "You have to come with us."

"And why would that be?"

"Maybe because it's been like three years since we've been to a party?" She scoffs. "You work too much."

"Somebody has to pay the rent on time," I shoot back. "and it's been literally one singular month."

"One month too long, if you ask me." Phoenix says, maneuvering us through the calm streets.

"It's almost like nobody did."

Frankie smacks me on my arm. "Come on, Theo. It's a Saturday night." I stare at her blankly, wondering what that's supposed to mean to me. "We spent last night inside. Plus you worked literally all day. Don't you wanna get drunk and have fun tonight?"

"Frankie, that's the exact reason I don't want to go. I worked literally all day." I sigh.

"Hey, I had a hard day too," Phoenix tuts. "Coach drilled the hell out of us in practice today. I need a drink in my hand ASAP."