Chapter 25

After Allan left the base things went back to normal, or what I perceived was to be normal. Hunter left early in the morning to train his soldiers, and I went for a run before dragging myself into the living room to hang out with the women. My mind was already numb with the DVDs that were watched day in and day out, and I couldn't understand how they spent their entire lives in front of the thing. I was going nuts as I listened to them bicker about who was the hottest guy in the movie, or worse, what they hated the most about their boyfriend or husband. The negativity made my skin tingle in irritation, and I found myself grinding my teeth in silent annoyance. I took a deep breath before deciding I might as well attempt to appear interested in their lives.

"So Chris got promoted?" I asked Amy.

"Yeah," she answered, taking another sip of beer unmoved.

"Shouldn't you be happy?" I asked as I picked at a hole in my jeans.

This wasn't going to be easy if she was going to be so nasty.

She looked me square in the face as she narrowed her eyes. "Yeah, a promotion was just what Chris needed."

I clasped my fists at my side as I stood without a word and went to the door. There was no way I was ever going to get along with these women.

"Where you going?" a woman I'd learned was named Mara asked, peering over the couch as I rounded it.

"To try and find the library. Hunter mentioned there was one," I replied, not stopping to continue the conversation.

"You're going in the wrong direction!" Mara called to my back.

I turned on my heel, crossing my arms as I looked at her twirling a piece of choppy blonde hair. "Are you going to show me then?"

"Sure thing, doll," Mara replied, hopping over the couch.

She led me out into the kitchen and then out a door across the way before speaking again, "You really don't know much about this place do you?"

"Why would you say that?"

"These men that we're stuck with—most of them are jerks, but some of them aren't....like my husband Rob, but the second they get a promotion they're less human. Chris' a jerk, so a promotion doesn't do Amy any good. Plus, it means that pretty soon she's a guaranteed widow," Mara explained as she swung a door open for me.

I walked in and then turned to face her leaning on the doorframe.

"If she doesn't like Chris why does she care if he leaves on a mission?"

She sighed, shaking her head. "Without Chris she's useless here."

She already is.

"So?" I asked.

"So, she'd have to leave, and go to the farming base so she'd have something to do." Mara nodded over my shoulder. "Well, here it is. You might have to blow some dust off those things. I don't think anyone has touched them in a long time...not since I've been here at least."

I looked at my surroundings before glancing back at the doorway to thank her, but she was already gone. I walked forward and closed the door before turning around and taking in the room lit only by a huge window at the end of the rows of floor to ceiling books. I slipped off my shoes and kneaded my toes into the plush white carpet before heading towards the window. Beneath it was a chocolate leather chaise with a chenille blanket in the exact jewel green of the paint that covered the small bits of wall around the window. It reminded me of Hunter's eyes and I found myself smiling as I sat on the chaise before looking out the window. There in a large field the men were in mock hand to hand combat. I stood, leaning my body against the window as my pulse increased. I easily found Hunter, and he turned his head, seeing me in the window.

I smiled as my breath hitched and gave him a small wave. He smiled back, and I felt panic rush through my veins as I saw his opponent spinning to kick him in the head. I wanted to scream— to tell him to watch out, but I knew he wouldn't be able to hear me. Hunter's lips curled to one side, and he raised an eyebrow before grabbing the leg inches from the back of his head and spun his opponent to the ground.

I flopped back on the chaise and looked at the ceiling as my whole body flushed.

Holy God.