Messenger

This is my first OneRepublic fanfic/One Shot along with my first 2nd person pov story, so I apologize if it's terrible.

Dedicated to 1Republicislife184

------------------------------------------------------

Every morning, it's the same routine. You scroll through your newsfeed on Facebook before you do anything else. Usually, you have either "Mercy" or "Something's Gotta Give" playing in the meantime. But the morning was far different today.

You're not popular, online or off. Your Facebook doesn't have a picture of your face anywhere on it. Your profile picture is the cover of "Waking Up", the black version with the mostly yellow paint. Your only friends are your cousin, who lives a thousand miles away, and your phone. You think you have a pathetic life. The only reason you have Facebook is to follow OneRepublic for any news on songs, tours, etcetera. The band is the only thing that gives you joy in your life. You drag your way through your days - listening to the sweet, melodic sound of Ryan Tedder's voice to get you through the hell known as every day of your life.

You turned eighteen a few weeks ago. You're still in high school. OneRepublic is your everything. In your mind, that basically sums up your life.

"Better" plays when you press shuffle on your phone. You turn on your mobile data and the first thing you notice is a red "1" above the friend request button. You click it.

"Ryan Tedder sent you a friend request." It reads. Another role-player. Great. Just what you need.

You hover your finger over the "delete request" button, when you get a message. A black and white picture of Ryan Tedder pops up in the top right hand corner of your screen.

"Hey," the first message reads. "Your name is (Y/N), isn't it?"

Skeptical, you reply with a simple, "Yeah."

You get dressed and check your phone again. "My name's Toby. I couldn't help but notice you are a OneRepublic fan. What's your favorite song?"

"I don't have one. They're all my favorite songs."

"Same. Say (All I Need, haha! Sorry, (Y/N), I know I'm not funny), I haven't met anyone who even knew the band's name where I am at. Have time to chat, maybe get to know each other? You seem cool."

"Maybe later." You say and click off your phone. But not before accepting the request.

* * *

You and Toby message each other for hours after you get home from school. You are a year older than anyone in your grade, thanks to the day your birthday happened to land on. You've thought about moving out of your mother's house before, but then you realized you don't have the money for a place or the incentive to do anything but lay around and complain about life.

Well, along with messaging Toby. He seems to be an amazing guy.

You ask him what his full name is. He replies with, "Tobias Benjamin Chrysler."

"You have the same middle name as Ryan Tedder!" You type quickly with excitement and press send, long beyond being worried of sounding like an obsessive stalker. When the conversation first started on OneRepublic and tacos, you let all the weirdness out.

And the promising news, Toby laughed right along with you.

"Today I felt a switch in my veins, (Y/N)! I'm so glad I sent you that request."