JUNE 22, 1952

Dear Charlie,

Please do not worry. I am perfectly fine. They have locked me inside a tiny white room and left me with my thoughts. You know me well, so you know that this is my paradise.

I've managed to grab hold of a biro from one of the lazier staff, whom I found sleeping the day away behind his desk. I feared that if I could not write down my thoughts, I might just drown in them, and so here I am, scribbling on a piece of toilet paper like some deranged fool.

Please know how much I miss you. I cannot even fathom this emptiness I feel, but I have made it my life's work to escape this prison and return to you, and I know just the way to do so.

All those years I spent hovering about on the outskirts of this asylum have given me a great advantage. I can recall every nook and cranny of the outside world, and I know everything there is to know about this place, and so I've begun digging a tunnel.

If memory serves, I will eventually find myself on the other side of Mount Evgenia, free to escape the horrors of this place, and free to return to you. I know you too are locked away, but for the first time in my life, I've dared to hope. It seems I have adopted at least a fraction of your undying optimism, and now all I can do is work hard and pray.

Promise me you'll hold on until then.

Forever yours,

Tommy.

© A.G. Travers 2016