10

We didn't go back to where Caddac was. Instead we went to a hotel of sorts some ways away from where the manor was. I didn't know why we hadn't gone back to Caddac's, but I was too tired to even ask questions. Ryker held me the entire time, his grip tight across my body. Even though he'd healed me, I had lost so much blood that I was utterly weak and sleepy. I wanted nothing more than to sleep for days. As it was, I couldn't really keep my eyes open during the trip.

"Lay him there," the sharp voice belonged to Kilia and I wondered briefly where she'd come from.

It wasn't until then that I realized I wasn't in the car anymore and instead we were in the hotel. My vision was blurry as I tried to focus. The voices faded in and out again as I struggled to keep conscious. Kilia's face hovered in front of me and I pulled away, the sight of her body twisting strangely making me slightly sick. So dizzy... I groaned as I closed my eyes.

"Hey, hey. You can sleep later, but not right now," Kilia's commanding tone pulled me back a little, "Hold him still. I don't have much of this but we'll use it to get his heart pumping a bit faster."

"What is it?" Ryker's voice cut through the haze.

"Adrenaline. He's lost too much blood despite your healing him. This will help make him feel better. The blood flow should pick up and he'll be just fine after..."

I felt a slight prick in my arm, but beyond that there was nothing. It took a second to kick in but a gasping breath flooded my body as my heart suddenly picked up. For a moment, it felt like my body had just been shocked wide awake. Everything was clear to me again. My breathing was slightly erratic, but it was much better than the half-dazed state I was in a moment ago. Ryker watched me carefully as I sat up on the bed that I'd been put on.

"Where are we?"

"Other side of town," Jace's voice came from behind me and I turned to look at him.

"What about..."

"Caddac? Too fishy, I don't like him."

"Neither do I," Ryker added. His gaze narrowed at me, lips pulling into a deep frown, "A little too calm if you ask me. Especially for someone who lost his brother. We decided to move. But then I couldn't find you," his voice dropped.

He's angry...

"R-Ryker..."

The sound of his teeth grinding stopped me from saying anything more. He looked away from me, the chaotic turmoil in his eyes driving me crazy because I just couldn't figure out what he was feeling other than the stronger emotion which was irritation. I couldn't look away from him though. Struggling to understand what it was that was going through his head, I could only stare. Not to mention that the adrenaline shot had me absolutely wired like I'd had far too much caffeine.

"To top it off. Caddac comes running to us just before morning and says that his men found the marker. It's too much of a coincidence that you disappeared and a few hours later they say they found the mark that we were following," Ryker continued.

I grimaced as I watched him. Jace spoke up then too, "How did you know to go there, Takye?"

For a moment I just sat there, but then I remembered the note that had been dropped on the bed that night when I had fallen asleep after crying so much. Biting my lip gently, I reached into my pocket and pulled it out. It was bloodied, but still intact. Handing it over to Ryker, he read it then passed it to Jace.

"They set it up," Jace hissed.

"They're after Takye?" Kilia asked. She was leaning against the bed as she listened to the conversation.