25

"Mani" the Latina said shaking the brown girl that was still asleep on her lap. She almost didn't want to wake her. For one because of how beautiful and peaceful she looked and two she wanted her to stay asleep since she had mentioned not feeling well.

Normani laid for a second longer trying to ignore her but after a few light squeezes to her shoulder she stirred around with a huff.

"Hmmmm" the brown girl groaned groggily, with her eyes still shut feeling Lauren's hand grip her shoulder.

"I have to go, Lucy's waiting for me"

The older girl opened her eyes at the words and lifted up, looking at Lauren. Lucy again? She couldn't even spend the day with Lauren with out hearing her name. Lauren had been here for hours but it still wasn't enough, she wanted her to stay.

She was going to get her to stay.

At this point, even though in person she finally taught herself to play cordial with Lucy, she hated her most. She hated how Lauren would smile at her right in her face. She hated the hugs, the kisses. She hated that Lauren's smile reached her eyes when she smiled at Lucy.

That's how she used to smile at Normani. That's how she did still smile at Normani and that made matters worse. Normani knew just like Lauren did that it was possible to be in love with two people at once. But the brown girl thought the bond her and Lauren had was for more than what Lauren had with Lucy.

She thought that Lauren would be with her, the way it was supposed to be. But it's been three months since that kiss in the hallway.
Three months since Lauren chose to stay with Lucy.

Three months since Lauren asked of Normani the same thing the the brown girl had asked of her once before, to pretend it never happened. But how? How was that possible? How could Normani pretend that having her lips on Lauren didn't feel like everything right happening all at once. How could she pretend that it didn't make her feel whole again? How could she pretend that she didn't want to do it over and over again? How could she pretend that she didn't want Lauren to be hers again?

She's been pretending for these last few months. She's been nice to Lucy, they even hung out once. But she hated it. She hated her. She hated how happy she made Lauren. But contrast to that, the problem is she loved seeing Lauren happy, so if this is what made her happy? If Lucy made her happy, which she did and the brown girl could still make her happy being her best friend then that's what had to happen.

It was so hard.

The Latina gaged her reaction, but it wasnt easy to tell what Normani was feeling.

"Are you feeling better?" Lauren questioned softly as she pulled a piece of lint out of the brown girls hair before running her hand over and fixing a curl.

The older girl responded with just a frown and grabbed around the waist Lauren, shifting herself so that her knees were on the back cushion of the couch and her head was in the latinas chest. Lauren sighed and held her close.

"You're so spoiled" the younger girl murmured, rubbing up and down her arm before kissing over her temple softly.

She was ecstatic that they could do this again. That they had gotten close enough to be this close with out arguing or scared that things could go wrong. It really did seem like she had her best friend back and with Lucy still in her life this was best. It felt like the highschool days all over again. Everyone was happy. Or at least that's what she thought.