Nikki's bath time story

"Nikki, if you don't get in here right this instant I'll send Jackson after you!" Standing, I poked my head through the doorway as my four year old hurried down the hallway. His giggles echoed back at me and I couldn't help but smile. "That's it! Jackson! Go get Nikki!" Our three year old black lab leaped to his feet and hurried after my son. Leaning against the door jam, I waited patiently as a bout of laughter reached me, soon followed by Nikki as he tried to get away from Jackson's kisses.

"Jackson stoppit, stoppit!" Though he said this, he hugged the dog instead, who sat obediently, tail wagging at having accomplished his task.

"Good boy Jackson. Now come on Nikki, it's bath time." As I pulled him away from his favorite playmate, he squirmed and wiggled as I plopped him into the sudsy bathtub.

"Read a story mama." He insisted, grabbing for his favorite Halloween book, purchased on clearance last month.

"Sit down and I will." With a splash, he did just that, giggling as the suds sloshed onto my shirt. Taking the waterproof book, I tapped the first page. "Which Witch " Nikki copied me, tapping a finger against the eye of the middle witch saying "That witch, that witch."

"Yes. That witch, now shh so mommy can read." Turning the page, I tried not to smile as Nikki clapped a hand over his mouth. "There are three witches who live in a house. It's a very big house for these three little witches." Nikki nodded as I turned the page. "On sunset during Halloween, these witches they decided, that this year they would dress up and go trick or treating too!"

"I wanna go trick-or-treating again mama."

"I know. But not until next year." I pat his head fondly, then flipped the page. "Once the night of tricking and treating was done, they put their bags at the foot of their beds and, tired, they all fell asleep."

"Mama mama, someone steals alla candy," Nikki whispered.

"The next morning they woke to find, that ALL of their candy was gone!"

"It was Wendy." Nikki told me and I nodded absently. I had gone through the same routine every bath night since I'd bought him the book.

"Their parents came in when they heard them fighting and sat them down to find out who had stolen the candy." As I flipped the page, Nikki wiggled, then pointed out the hidden candy under one of the beds. "Wendy, Lisa and Nicole. We don't like people who lie and steal, so which one of you took all the candy?"

"Wendy did, wendy did, see the candy?" He exclaimed excitedly.

"Such a smart boy. Yes, the candy is under wendy's bed."

"They were silent and teary eyed, but Wendy stood forward. She had wanted all the candy but knew it was wrong. Taking the bags from under her bed, she returned them to her sisters."

"I told ya Wendy did it." Nikki waggled a finger at me as though I hadn't believed him.

"After Wendy said she was sorry and the fighting had ended, they went outside to play-"

"And the mama and dada eated the candy!" Nikki threw his hands into the air as, on the last page, it showed the parents sneaking away with a handful of candy each.

Chuckling, I closed the book and lightly bopped him on the head with it. "Not all of the candy. But shouldn't they get some too? Would you give me some?"

He shook his head, then paused and nodded. "I'd share my candy with you mama." I kissed his forehead.

"Good. Now let's get you cleaned up-"

"Noooooooooooooo!" His refusal came out as more a howl than a word, but as I wrestled to get him cleaned, then dried and in his pajamas, it was when I put him in bed that I smiled again. My little boy was such a handful, but I couldn't imagine him being any other way.