Daughter

"I hate to be disrespectful," Leo said, "especially after this delicious dinner. But, I believe you washed your hands off of her that afternoon. And when she needed you the most you left her homeless and friendless. I can't help but wonder what would have become of her if I hadn't been with her at the time."

Vivian's cheeks colored and her eyes sparkled with indignation. Had that Jackie Ribbons answering the office phones at Olivet fed her lies the other day? Impossible. That woman knew. She had said that young Leo Moreau was a gentle young man. A bit of a pushover at that. There was nothing of that now, so apparently even Jackie got it wrong at times.

"Young man do not even dare to accuse me. I know what I did and why. And as much as I hate to admit it, I was in the wrong. I was very wrong to cast that girl out to the wolves." Vivian held herself still and pursed her lips as if trying not to blurt something she was dying to say. Leo saw in the shifting of her eyes the merest indication of the conflict within her. She took a deep breath, "That girl is dearer to me than my own flesh and blood."

Leo raised his brows questioningly. Well, wasn't Rita her flesh and blood?

Vivian leaned back and looked down at her coffee thoughtfully. Then as if making a decision she pierced Leo with those slate gray eyes, "I have a daughter," she said quietly and intently, "but we have been estranged for years. I was not able to be care for her as I should have done--that task fell to her father's side of the family. When I married my husband, may he rest in peace, I attempted to make amends. She lived here for a time--but It was too late; there has never been that kind of connection. On the other hand there is Rita, my brother's daughter. For all that she has troubled and vexed me all these years she always will be closer to me than my own daughter. So I assure you Mr. Moreau, that I have regretted what I did and said to her the last time I saw her. I'm paying for it now, and I'm sure I'll be paying for it for years to come. And I'm only saying this to you because you proved to be a true friend. You could have taken advantage of Rita in such a situation, but instead you took her to your family's home." Vivian paused, took a deep breath, and said the words as if it took her a great effort to form them, "For which I am in your debt."

Leo felt awkward and shifted a little in his seat, "I care for Rita. I'm her friend. There is no debt."

"But I'm not your friend, and if you weren't so young you should not be discounting the importance of having someone be in your debt." Leo wanted to ask if now he was going to be in her debt for having fed her dinner, but she seemed to read his mind. "And before you even ask, let me just say that there is a difference between hospitality--common decency among civilized people--and doing a favor." Vivian blew into her now cooled coffee and took a sip. "Won't you tell me why you came?"

Leo had no talent for speeches. He answered straightforwardly. "I'm looking for Rita. Some time ago she left my parent's home without a word as to why or where. Do you know where she could be?" Leo said.

Vivian frowned, and looked up from her coffee, "What? When did she leave? What happened?" 

Leo rubbed the back of his neck, "That's what I want to find out. I don't know why she left. But I feel responsible for her and for her safety. Have been ever since I helped her carry her move out from here and took her home. When I asked she said she had no other place to go, and her closest family had turned her back on her.  Which is why I am puzzled as to her sudden departure. My mother and father were equally at a loss as to why she left and where she is."

Vivian sat straighter in her chair, "Rita didn't inform your parents of what she planned to do?"

Leo shook his head.

"That girl! I will have to apologize to your mother. Rita knows better. But in any case, it speaks volumes that you feel responsible, and I commend you for it. That being said, you and your family shouldn't continue to feel responsible over that girl. She is an adult, and contrary to what she told you she is not destitute as she would have you think."

It wasn't often that Leo ever felt irritated, let alone angry. He was easy-going Victor Moreau's son, after all. Short of cruelty, injustice, bigotry, etc, there just wasn't much in the world that could really incense him. But Vivian's dismissal of him and her claim that Rita did not need him really did it. He chuckled darkly and leaned forward, resting his forearms on the table.

"I'm sorry ma'am. But I can't take that for granted. Not from you. You say that you care for Rita--that you love her more than you love your own child, but I don't see you out of your mind with worry looking for her. Now I came here to talk to you--and honestly it was not easy to walk up to your door and knock. But I did it. Because I care for Rita. I love her. And I will not rest until I find her, even if I am missing my family's annual Thanksgiving party which my mom prepares for months in advance and in which my extended family come from out of state to be together. Rita is more important to me right now, and you should feel the same too."

Leo had to make himself stop. Oh he could have gone on and on, but honestly, he doubted it would do any good. Vivian knew less about Rita's whereabouts than he did, and if she did have an idea she would not be telling him now. What the hell was he doing? He'd just ruined his chances.

Vivian sat ramrod straight in her chair, her eyes veiled behind her lashes as she looked down at her empty coffee mug. But her jaw was working and moved slowly, indignantly. However, he was startled when, as she looked up, she saw that they were filled with tears. 

She was trying not to cry.

"You think I don't care?" Vivian said in a cold whisper. "How dare you. How dare you set yourself above me? You think that I'd rather whine about my ruined dinner rather than worry and look for Rita? Listen to me!" she grabbed his forearm in a grip, and her voice came out fierce and almost growl-like "I am worried sick over Rita. Dr. Harding assured me the damage was contained, but apparently it hasn't."

Vivian released his arm and stood to clear the table, including his own untouched dessert. She dumped everything on the sink with a clatter and stood leaning there, her hands resting on the granite counter, her head hanging down so that her chin rested against her chest. It was a pose of utter exhaustion. 

"I don't know how the Martinez people found out about Rita," she said without lifting her head, "but they did--Priscilla as good as told me so. And they just arrived here last night. That's what worries me. Rita is tainted. She'll never be able to call this place or this town her home again. People will not forgive or forget. I've seen it in church, I've seen it at Olivet," she finally raised her head and turned to him with eyes so cold they chilled him to the bone, "and I see it in you. She's an object of scorn or pity."

"She is not!" Leo exclaimed. "You can't--"

Vivian spoke over him, "She needs a new start--and I'm going to give it to her. That is why though I know exactly where she is right now I will not go and torture her further. I will not let you find her either." Vivian returned to the table, but she didn't sit. She merely stood above him with her arms crossed. The roles were reversed and now she stood in judgement. "You may have fine sentiments now, but I did find you and my niece in a very compromising situation. And I find it very hard to believe that you weren't in her bed before I came in. If you truly had cared about her then you would never ever have been in her bedroom, let alone in such a state of undress. A gentleman never risks or imperils the virtue of the woman he claims to love."

The chair where Leo sat made a scraping sound before it toppled backwards. He stood towering over Vivian looking almost menacing with that livid expression on his face. Vivian had to catch her breath, but she did not relent from her onslaught. "When it comes down to it, you are just like any other man. Younger (too young) and inexperienced, but still just a man. The love you claim to have for her will only go so far."

Leo closed his eyes and took a deep breath. Then another. Then one more for good measure. And when he opened his eyes he found within himself the ability to forgive and pity the unhappy woman before him. His words were soft when he spoke next.

"I love her. And I will prove you wrong. When I find her I will love her--if she will have me. This is as close to asking for your permission to marry your niece as you will ever get from me, Mrs. Henderson. Thank you for dinner."

And with that Leo walked out of her house and into the darkness of the November night.