Chapter 6

Mmmmmm the castle smells delicious. I just woke up and looked beside me. Mia was already awake, combing her hair on the bed beside me. She turned and gave me a smile. I think she's back to normal.

"Well finally the princess has awoken from her eternal slumber," she said.

"Yes, there was a pea under the mattress. I barely got a wink of sleep," I said while stretching.

It was too dark to see the king's chambers last night but now everything is clear. The bed is beautiful. Red fabric with rose decals cover the bed. A gold canopy hangs over our heads. Ornate dressers and chairs scatter the room and across from us is a gold trimmed, body-sized mirror. I quickly get ready, brushing my hair and teeth, changing clothes, etc.

I was tying my shoes when Mia asked, " Do you believe him? Do you really think a rock lets a person live forever?"

"Mr. Crimson said he's not immortal and I don't know what to believe but I'm willing to stay open minded. Come on, I think he's cooking something."

We traveled through the hallway and down the stairs that were bathing in red sunlight that the glass gems on the wall let escape threw. In the kitchen sure enough, the man was stirring a pot overtop a flickering fire.

"I was wondering when you two would awake. I've been trying to keep breakfast warm."

He brought us two bowls.

"What is it?" Mia asked.

"Potato soup. Try some. It's better than the genetically modified foods your generation consumes."

It's delicious. It warms my soul and fills my stomach. I can't remember the last time I've had a meal that's as satisfying as this. Mia and I quickly scarf it down.

"Thank you," we both reply.

"Um, do you have an out house?" Mia asked while Mr. Crimson cleaned the dishes in a vat of water.

"An out house?!" He laughed, "What is this, the nineteenth century? I've constructed a bathroom to right of the main hall with fully functioning plumbing."

"How'd you learn to do that?" I asked.

He looked at me and smiled, "Google."

As soon as Mia got back we took seats in the dining room. The smile on Mr. Crimson's face is now long gone, replaced by crossed arms.

"So what's your proposal?" Mia asked firmly. Wow the mood really went downhill.

"There are more stones than the one I possess that have superior abilities. Are you familiar with the mountain chain shortly north of here?"

"Yes," I answered. " I heard it's off limits because there are tons of wild animals prowling around."

"You are correct. Do you know why there are numerous castles all in this tiny area?"

What is this, 21 questions?

Mia jumped in on this one, "Some kings during medieval times wanted to show of their wealth to each other in one place."

He gave a slight nod then stood up. "That's only one part of the reason. The stones have been fought over for centuries, changing hands secretly, not being revealed to the public just like this estate. The kings who possessed the stones consented to a treaty. It stated that no king would try to steal the others' stones but it required that the stones must be kept on this estate eleven months out of the year so that they couldn't be used to subdue other nations on the forefront. Some powerful royals that did not own stones were also allowed to build on the estate to avoid suspicion. Unfortunately, not everyone abided by the treaty. Most of the kings constructed new palaces in the mountains that were fortified to a much greater extent than the ones previously. I suspect some stones are still hidden within the castles in the mountains. They may even be the cause of the increasing number of ferocious animals."

More stones? What powers could they possibly hold? I really want to believe him but I've never heard anything like this in my life. I don't want to act like a fool but I'd be a much bigger fool to miss out on something this extraordinary if he is telling the truth. Extraordinary isn't even the right word to describe it. This can change the entire world forever.

"I don't believe that something so great can be kept a secret for so long. My mother can barely keep my Christmas present a secret," Mia said.

I was expecting Mr. Crimson to laugh or smile or show some sign of lightheartedness but he did not waver.

"You'll be surprised Ms. Lewis, at how easily one can keep silent when the fear of losing one's life sets in."