Chapter 1 Alice

HIYA! How is everyone? Ok, I would like to clear up some confusion before your read. Circe, Alice, and those boys are meant to be more mature. Boys were raised in a bad environment, Circe is because of her genetic mutation (explained in later chapters), and Alice I think isn't that mature, just kind. Thank you! Sorry for the confusion! xoxo~ Maddii

**************

Chapter 1

"You weirdo! You're such a loser!" a couple of my third grade classmates told me. Those boys Tom, Garrett, Liam, Peter, and Gage always made fun of me. I cried. Nobody liked me. They said I was a freak, a weirdo, a loser, and so many other cruel names. They called me these names because I was different. I had aqua blue hair that went down to my waist, my eyes were the same aqua blue, and I was the tiniest third grader, which made it worse. They knew I could not fight back, nor would I ever try. So I did what I usually did, run.

My teachers didn't care either. I didn't have parents, so I had no one to turn to. A few families took pity on me and decided to send me to school against my will, but they didn't want me to stay at their house because of my hair. Most of the time I usually slept in a hidden area. Just about everyone was cold hearted to me because I was different. I had tried to skip school in the past, but it never worked out. It always drew way to much attention to me.

Today, I went to the swings. I had always liked the swings. Each seat was a different color, which always had brought a little happiness to my life. Those boys were awful to me, so I started to cry. I wiped my tears on my arm. It seemed like today was the perfect day for everyone, the sky was a perfect blue, it was nice and a warm, and all around people enjoyed their normal lives. The thought of everyone enjoying their day with no worries made my tears fall even harder.

"Excuse me?" a little girl said as she walked up to me.

I looked up at her, "What do you want?" I didn't mean for it to come out so sharp, but I was in a bad mood now.

The dark-haired girl seemed to be taken aback by my sharpness. I instantly felt guilty. The one person who actually has said something to me I am rude to. I bit my lip and tried to form a smile so she would know I had good intentions.

"You just seemed sad, that's all." she gave me a sincere smile, clearly forgetting my sharpness toward her. I just shrugged. "My name's Alice. Can I swing with you?"

"Sure," I whispered. Alice smiled and took the swing next to mine.

We sat quietly next to each other, until Alice broke the silence. "Usually people give their names when I do." Alice looked at me curiously.

I looked at her. My name? Was she being sincere? Everyone knew my name, not because I was well liked, but because of my hair. "Well, my name is Circe."

" That's a cool name. Why is your hair blue?" she asked me. I tensed up and Alice gave me a weird look.

I instinctively grabbed my scalp and faced away from her. I hated my blue hair. It made me stand out. It made me get teased. Now Alice won't like me because of my hair. A tear sprung to my eye.

"Alice!" someone called bringing me back to my senses.

She stood up, "Well that's my mom I will see you later!" Alice said as she ran off. Maybe she won't judge me. Especially since she smiled at me.

Alice ran towards her mom. I looked at toward the direction she was leaving and then, my eyes went down to the concrete again. For a fleeting moment I felt liked, maybe Alice was a potential friend.

"Circe?" Alice asked. She appeared in front of me, almost out of thin air.

"Yes? I thought you left." I said quietly.

"I want to meet you here again, tomorrow. Okay?" then she ran off towards her mom's car.

"Oh, and I love your hair!" Alice screamed out the window. After she left I noticed everyone staring. I shook my head, trying to clear all the thoughts racing through my head.

It felt weird. Why did she talk to me? How did she like my hair? She must be new in town that's all. I stood up and started to stretch. My stomach growled I should probably get food. I grabbed the five dollars I have been saving for a couple months I found most of it on the streets. I ran down the hill, I decided today for dinner I would get Arby's.

After I ordered the food and convinced the workers that my parents were coming, I walked out of the Arby's with my bag. Since today was a perfect day, I chose togo to the dock. The dock was by the water and was probably my most favorite place to be. I sat on a bench and proceeded to eat. The people who passed me eating gave me weird looks, but I ignored all of them. This was a normal day to my standard.

I finished my sandwich and fries and decided to head to a Laundromat. While my clothes were swirling around in the machine, I sat thinking about Alice. Alice was the first person who didn't make fun of me. I liked her. She seemed nice enough. Or maybe it was a trick. I hope it wasn't.

Staring at my laundry going in circles gave me time to think. If Alice did like me I could have a friend. If she was kidding I would probably be really sad. I gripped my old t-shirt and bit my lip at the awful thought.

I left the Laundromat with my hands holding a warm bundle of clothes. I should probably head back to my shelter before it started raining. Even though it had been a nice day so far, the dark clouds looked like they were going to rain on me, I started to run. I had to get back quickly. I saw my make shift home in the distance, and the second I stepped into my shelter it had started to rain.

My shelter was made up of metal boxes that had been sitting there for quite some time, and the roof was a tin sheet so no rain would leak through the roof. The roof was just a metal sheet. I think someone lived here before considering the perfect set up. My bed made up of an old mattress, an old pillow, and a blanket that my preschool teacher gave me. I had been here for the past two months.

I set my old clothes on top of a couple boxes. Sighing to myself, I pushed my blue hair back off of my face. I needed to take a shower soon. Probably at the swim school where they had showers and free shampoo and conditioner samples. Realizing how tired I was I sat on my bed and stared out of the shelter's entranceway. The rain was coming down hard now. I decided to go to sleep so that I could wake up early, then take a shower, and then head to school. I had to be clean for my new friend.