I am a Cat

Dark is the night, the air, cold and damp. The city is wet with rain and the streets are busy with angry drivers. I can’t get any sleep at all, the noise from the cars and from the rain vouches for that. Worst of all, I’m forced to sleep in the dumpster crammed with fish-- rotten fish. But I am dry and my stomach can handle the fish I think, there is comfort knowing that. And at least, you can say “I’m sleeping with the fishes.”

Mr. Johnson, he is—was the greatest man that ever lived. He fed me, spent time with me, protected me, and loved me… up until yesterday. The bastard makes me cringe.

I remember when I was just a little tike, a kitten. My mother along with my brother and sister were the only ones left surviving. The rest got killed.

While walking down the dark foreboding alley, a human child armed with slingshot killed my mother. He shot dead center. Blood was gushing out and the way he reacts was absolutely absurd. The sadistic son of a bitch laughed, he enjoyed it! I remember what we tried; I stayed with her lifeless body, nudging her to get back up. “Mom, please stand! Please stand!” I pleaded and pleaded. I kept meowing with hopes that it might wake her up. “Mom, we need you, we need you!” But she still won’t stand. My sister and I kept nudging her, convinced she’s just sleeping.

My brother, the brave one, remained steadfast. He stayed at one spot guarding the lifeless body and two of his siblings. But we already know what humans are like, demented monsters, thinking they can do anything. The rock hit him hard and threw him off the ground but it bounced near me right before he died. We saw no end to it, I look at my sister, her eyes frozen with anger and despair.

My sister, the fast one, she made an instinctive decision—and it’s to run. She quickly ran towards the street, the busy street. I saw the metal carriages ran over her like nothing. Blood was shed all over the gaping asphalt and then I realized I’m the only one left.

I turn back to find out his weapon was pointed at me. I stuttered and I ran towards the nearest corner. I heard a tick, I know he missed but the pebble ricocheted on the wall nearly hitting me.  I didn’t know what to do at that time. I was stuck in a corner, not really knowing what to do, I waited for the inevitable. As he was reloading, the hell spawn of a child, I looked to my right, in which my sister, with her parts scattered throughout the road. Then I looked to my right, in which my mother and brother lie dead with the very same slingshot. But, out of the blue, appeared a dark-skinned boy. He used a guitar to hit him on the head then the little dipshit fell. I don’t know if he died or fell unconscious.

 Johnson, bless that man, the bastard, picked me by his arms and took me as one of his own.

I thought everything would be better, I thought everything would be fine. But when he got home, I saw one of the saddest things in my life. His stepmother blinded him by throwing lye in is his eyes after his father had beaten her for being with another man. And for years I helped him grow and survive and he did the same for me. I remember his words, “You’re unlike any other cat, you’re different, I like you.”