"Live For Me."

"This sucks," Josh said, peering up at the gloomy grey sky. The ground was slick with rain, the air smelled of ozone and disappointment. The newly formed crowd had just dispersed to take shelter. A crackly voice came over the speakers, "The show is temporarily on hold. Take shelter, or go indoors immediately."

"They had to evacuate because of the storm, and now they need to restart the line." His brows were furrowed. "I'd be pissed," Josh spoke to the camera. "Sorry guys, it's my fault, I made it rain." Josh said jokingly.

"Yeah Josh, this is b-crap. You're being a real dipcrap." Tyler said, laughing.

Josh smiled and chuckled, "I'm a dipcrap."

*:・゚✧ ✧゚・:*

Once the majority of the rainwater was cleared, and Tyler and Josh had played in the puddles like little boys, the clique came back out, a mixture of clear ponchos, red beanies and black clothes. Then, the show began, and it was amazing as always. No technical difficulties, and it would begin to sprinkle a bit every so often, not too much. Some how, despite what had happened the crowd was enthusiastic as ever.

"You got another one in you?" Tyler asked the crowd, and they roared back in response. All these people. How many lives had been saved by their music? "Tell me, are you happy to be alive tonight?" The crowd went insane, pumping their fists, screaming, shouting, pressing shoulder to shoulder, front to back—anything to get closer to the stage. Tyler was never getting over this feeling, this exhilaration.

This was his purpose, to help people like him. He made his way over to the piano, striking the F chord that begins "Car Radio." Josh tapped his drums, bringing in the light beat, and he saw people in the crowd air-drumming along. He smiled through his mask. He looked at his best friend, who was just as happy. The entire audience sang, or for a more accurate description, screamed the words back. Their life was so far ahead of them. They'll play Madison Square Garden this tour, the venue they've always dreamed of playing. They were going to take hold of the world, they were going to be bigger than Elvis and The Beatles. Two kids with big dreams, that used to play shows in front of nobody, now played stadiums for thousands of people and their dedicated fan base.

Every time Tyler climbed during this song, Josh always got nervous. Josh spoke into his mic, the one only Tyler could hear him through. "Be careful, Tyler."

"I always am, Spooky Jim."

Josh's eyes met Tyler's—they twinkled with life and joy. He smiled his bright smile.

Then, he began to climb.

Carefully, but quickly, he edged his way up the bars of the stage's structure, spotted with tiny raindrops.

All was going well, that is until Tyler grabbed a bar that was particularly slick.

His hand slipped, and quickly, he dropped his microphone to latch on with his other hand, holding on tight.

Josh's heart skipped a beat and the crowd gasped, as feedback from the dropped microphone split through the humid air, and the music cut out.

Tyler clung to the bar, as he was at the top of the structure, and reassured the crowd he was okay. Then he looked at Josh, giving him a reassuring smile. "It's okay," he shouted down. Tyler slowly made his way back down.

But just because something happens once, it doesn't mean it can't happen again.

As Tyler's foot slipped out from underneath him, he did not have enough time to grab on with his other hand.

The crowd gasped again, then fell silent and all that was heard was the sickening sound of his body hitting the stage.

    This time, Josh's heart didn't just skip a beat, it stopped. No, not his heart, his entire world stopped. He let out a heart wrenching scream, and he jumped over his drum kit, rushing towards the prone body. Security came over, to check for a pulse, while hundreds of people in the crowd called the paramedics.

    Josh cradled Tyler's head, which then came back with blood. His heartbeat was slow, delicate, and faint.  Softer than the color of his brown eyes, more delicate than the dark lashes that touched his cheeks that were damp with rainwater.  And much, much fainter than the sound of Josh's loud sobs. 

    Once again, it began to pour, and Josh tried to cover Tyler's unconsious body, to try to keep him safe. "C'mon, Ty," Josh rocked back and forth. "Stay alive for me, please, please stay alive. Just wait for the paramedics. Please just hang on." 

    People in the crowd were crying, holding onto eachother, and others held up the three-fingered clique symbol. 

    This wasn't real. There was no way this was happening.  Tyler will get up soon, and together, they'll finish the set with "Trees," and everyone will be okay. Then, they'd get into the tour bus and eat cereal, and play Super Smash Bros. They'd work on songs, and play the venues they'd dreamed of, right?

  Right?

    Life without Tyler? It just wasn't going to happen. Tyler and Josh would get old and their hair would fall out, and they'd go down in history. Everything would be great. 

   Life without Tyler—unbearable, inhabitable.

   Josh thought, I'd rather die.

    In that moment, he thought of lyrics Tyler had written a long time ago. "Rain down, and destroy me." He wished the rain was made out of acid, or poison, or even daggers. Something that would kill him.

     Tyler's eyes fought open for a second. He looked Josh in the eyes, as if he'd known what he had been thinking about.

     He gripped Josh's hand and uttered his last words.

     "Live for me."

   The End.

a/n: please vote and comment, I really love feedback. I hope you enjoyed. If you like this, you'll enjoy my other short story: You Are Here. 
Thank you for reading.

-rubyforest