Truly, Madly, Deadly, Part 8, Chapter 10

Author’s note: TRULY, MADLY, DEADLY has been nominated for a Teen Choice Book of the Year! Please vote here and spread the word! Thanks!

http://www.teenreads.com/features/teen-choice-book-of-the-year/nominate-your-favorite-books-of-2013

Thanks for reading! Please vote, comment and like! Truly, Madly, Deadly is the first of my YA thrillers published with Sourcebooks – coming soon in January is See Jayne Run. All of my books are available in print and digital from any major retailer.

Copyright © 2013 by Hannah Jayne

TEN

Sawyer was feeling slightly more comfortable after homeroom and had nearly forgotten the notes, the flowers, and the shredded clothes by the time she got to second period. When she walked into the choir room, she was downright giddy thinking of her solo, appearing in her new choir costume. Chloe bounded over to her.

“Hey! You’re smiling. Kind of like an idiot.” She poked Sawyer in the ribs and grinned. “Anything I should know about?”

Sawyer shook her head, feeling her soft brown hair tumble over her shoulders. “Nope. I’m just feeling pretty decent today.”

“Good to know.”

“Ladies and gentlemen.” Mr. Rose strode through the door, hands up as though he were conducting the students’ conversations. “Tone it down now. I suspect you all have been looking over—and loving—our new set list.” He shuffled some papers. “We’re going to start today with the third number first so we can work on everyone’s solos.” His eyes flashed to Sawyer’s and she gulped, then clapped a hand over her mouth.

“Oh, crap. I forgot my sheet music,” she murmured.

“Huh?” Chloe asked.

“My sheet music.” Sawyer’s hand shot into the air. “Um, Mr. Rose? Can I run to my locker for just a sec? I left my sheet music in there.”

Mr. Rose sat down at the piano and nodded, waving absently toward the door. “Hurry.”

Maggie rolled her eyes as Sawyer shimmied past. “And the whole world waits for Sawyer Dodd,” she muttered just loud enough for Sawyer to hear.

Sawyer pushed into the deserted hallway and, head down, beelined toward her locker. She looked up just in time to avoid a collision with Cooper.

“Oh, hey.” He flushed a blotchy red from exposed neck to forehead and then broke into an uncertain grin.

Sawyer looked from Cooper to her locker—less than three paces away—and back to Cooper again. “What are you doing out here?”

He waved a pink hall pass. “Bathroom break.”

Sawyer bit her lip and pointed over Cooper’s right shoulder. “The boys’ room is in corridor C.”