33. Had for awhile

Daniel watched Tiger, Terrik, and Ted leave through the heavy metal door. He ran a hand through his hair, and snarled at the thoughts consuming him. He began to pace back and forth across the room, throwing a glare at his sister every few steps.

Becky stood motionless. Secrets were meant to be buried and hidden away. Her brother did not yet know the big secret, but Ted had officially pointed at the closet. Her brother did not know the skeleton inside, but he knew one was in there. Curiosity was going to win out, and soon he would see the details. Becky held her tongue. She was not going to begin until Daniel asked. She was going to hold off the revelation for as long as possible, and every second counted.

“Well? Are you going to tell me?” Daniel finally snapped. He continued to pace, but he met Becky’s guarded gaze more frequently.

Becky pressed her hands to the side of her head, as if she could push the thoughts into oblivion. No luck. She turned to the metal cabinets, and leaned against it. She looked at the linoleum floor, but heated against the angered stare of her brother. She was nervous. Her beloved family would never be the same, and it was her fault.

“What do you remember about Roger?” Becky began softly. She cringed when Daniel hissed painfully. Silent anguish filled the air for a few moments before he spoke.

“He tried to take you from us. He was a were-snake, and he said you were his mate. We killed him, but it cost us the lives of our parents,” Daniel finally answered. His words were factual, and his tone brutish. He tried to keep the emotion of the memory at bay.

Becky pressed her lips together. She would not cry; she was strong. “Do you remember when our parents died? Do you remember the fight?”

Daniel grabbed the cot nearest him and flipped it over in rage. “NO! And I shouldn’t have to!” he roared.

A feminine squeak erupted at the crash of metal. Adina sharply sprang up and rolled over in surprise at her sudden wake up. She rolled off the cot and thudded to the hard floor. Daniel was by her side in a flash. He sat on the cot she had vacated, and he pulled her onto his lap.

“Are you okay?” he whispered. His hand cupped her jaw, forcing her to look into his face while his eyes roamed her body, looking for any injury.

“Elbow hurts,” Adina whined, rubbing the sore spot. “Head hurts. And I’m just really feeling weird.”

“You have been passing out and waking up a lot,” Becky answered.

“I have?” Adina asked in shock. She turned toward Becky and saw the room she was in. “Wait, is this real? I think I dreamed about this place. . . Or was that real?”

“You saw it a little while before, but then you passed out again. There’s a chance you dreamt of it afterword,” Becky stated with a sigh. She had mentally prepared to finally tell her brother, and now she was interrupted. The suspense was wreaking havoc on her heart.

“Oh,” Adina mumbled, shutting her eyes shut. She gave her head a little shake. “I can’t tell what’s real and what’s not anymore.”

“It’s about to get a lot weirder,” Daniel promised.

“Huh?” Adina said, opening her eyes. She was concerned at his tone.

“There’s something you need to learn, Adina. And it’s going to be one heck of a shock. Try to listen, quietly and patiently, and I promise I’ll do whatever you ask. I’ll keep you safe, I promise. I just need you to believe me and stay with me. Can you do that?” Daniel pleaded.

“I guess,” Adina answered in a small voice. Was there a chance she was going to faint again? She hoped not. How would she ever get a good night’s sleep if she kept taking mini-naps during the day? Not to mention her poor head could not take another detour into fantasy world. She really needed to sort out reality.