BABAH LARA (ENG VERSION)

"How was your journey, Maya?" Babah asked as he helped bringing my suitcase to the living room.

I nodded as to give him a sign that I am fine. When I buried my body on the couch, he went off to the kitchen. I know he wanted to buy some time for explanation. Therefore, I will wait. On the Japanese table in front of me, I saw papers scattered. "He must have been busy lately. Let me help", I mumbled in sigh. As I was collecting the papers, my eyes caught a glimpse of a picture overturned at the edge of the table.

Babah was still up to something in the kitchen, most probably preparing supper for me. He never taught to trespass his properties while he was absent but I cannot hold this boiling urge inside me to discover. Stealthily, I flipped the picture. It is an old picture of a woman with a name written in red. "Lara", I read it plainly. However, my mind was wondering. Why Babah has a picture of a woman whom I have never met in his possession? Despite my anger and dissatisfaction towards him, I juggled unconsciously.

Later, I saw him coming from the kitchen with a tray. "If only I have a mother to serve me rather than you, Babah", he smirked and approaching the Japanese table. "I am your mother", I knew he had always say that whenever I mention mother.

"There is not much things left in the fridge. I forgot to buy you Milo, is Vico okay?" he put a tray with Vico and a toast with honey on the table. I waited for seconds until he sat in front of me just across the Japanese table, crossing his legs on the floor. Just right after, I started the ball rolling.

"Can we talk now Babah?" calmly I sneaked the picture under my thigh.

"Has your fever down?" he's trying to avoid again.

"Answer me Babah. I don't have all day."

"I thought I had given you my answer."

He gathered his papers and stacked them on the other side of the table. "Have your supper and go to bed", then, he switched off the television and read through a paper. I sat still in front of him, still demanding for an answer. His eyes caught mine. As if he could read the struggles I had in my mind, he added, "I cannot allow you and I know what is best for my girl. Therefore, you won't get your desired answer from me. That is my answer."

"I have told you. I will only spend 2 years for this master programme", I insisted him. My heart told me that he would allow me if I were to explain in person to him like this. But, I started to see my effort went to no avail.

"You will have another opportunity coming later. I just feel you're not right for this now. I'm sorry",

when he speak about chance and opportunity, can't he think that this might be the last chance for me.

"NO! Babah, I can only ENCOUNTER chance. I can't find it!" my voice risen.

"At least you must tell me the reason. This is unacceptable!" I started to dig out his heart again after a long pause. The picture under my thigh started to tickle my heart. Something must have happened. Something must have its relation with this picture.

"Is there something bothering you? Are you worried that I might leave you?" I hold his hand so that he would give me his attention. The papers had won him over me. Indeed, he put them down on the table and took off his spectacles. How I miss his bare eyes. His pair of eyes is sharp but deep inside it, tender and gentleness blooming.

"If I said yes, would you listen to me?" now I am startled by his question. Definitely, he was being selfish. Who wanted to keep his daughter with him forever?