My Dog Gus

I had a dog named Gus he was a mutt, but he was ½ wolf and ¼ german shepherd and ¼ alaskan malamute. He was born 2 months before me. He was the best free dog I had ever had. He was very naughty also.

He stole a lot of food off of the counter. Once when I was old enough to walk, so like 10 months old and there was a 5-pound block of cheese on the counter in its package and one night it was taken right off of the counter and my parents thought it was me because they found the empty package outside, but they found out gus ate it. He also stole a few pizza's.

When I was little I had gotten a trike with a wagon for christmas and I was riding it on the cement in our backyard and I was on two wheels and Gus was right behind me when I had almost tipped my trike over and caught me.

We also had our closest neighbor who lived a mile away and he had pigs so when a pig died he would throw them over the fence to rot. So Gus would go down and get himself some lunch every few days, and he would come home all dirty and smelly. Unfortunately, when there was no dead pigs he would go get some live pigs, and Gus would bring them home squealing.

Gus would sleep right behind the couch, and my other dog Lucy would sleep by his head. They both loved to play. When I was little I would grab one of my dad's socks and tie a knot in it and I would give it to Gus and he would pull us across the wood floor.

Every time my dad's friend went coyote hunting he would come to our house, and Gus would be outside, so Brian Phillips would put Gus in the house so he wouldn't shoot him. When the mailman would come he would bring treats and every day Gus would be waiting in the front of the house. So, when the mailman would come he would call Gus and the mailman would slip Gus a treat, till we got a new mailman. Gus was a good dog if you asked me but if you had asked my neighbor he would say he was naughty and a great dog at the same time.

When my family would eat he would be right there to catch any food that either got slipped to him or food that we had dropped. Till one day when we were eating supper on January 10th he was being a pain in the butt and my mom told him to go lay down and so he did. But, when we were done eating he couldn't get back up. Two weeks before this we had taken him to the vet and they said that his liver was shutting down. At this point we had knew that the end of his days were coming soon to an end. He was laying down and we knew that tonight was the night that he was done fighting. January 10th was his last day. He was laying in the kitchen suffering. 12 year old Gus was no put on a sled and moved into the garage to be put down by Doc. Agen from the Harmony Vet Clinic. January 10th was a day of pure sadness for me and everybody else. I'll say he lived an awesome, playful, joy filled, brilliant, and amazing life. I love you, Gus, you will always stay in my heart.