Kuman Thong

By late that evening, no one had heard any crying, so we were hopeful that the exorcisms had worked. As Takigawa said, it was always nice to have a case that actually was as straightforward as it appeared. I was just happy that after an hour or so by the fire with my head in the last of my trigonometry homework, I was more or less back to normal and not hankering to stick myself to Naru's shin.

Ayako and Takigawa headed to bed first. At the thought of the cold, fancy comforter on my grand four poster bed, I stayed put on the cushion of the couch that I had occupied since the end of dinner. A novel I had brought from home was open on my knees. I had already read it once, and I was enjoying the story at a slower pace.

Also, though I hated admitting it to myself, I felt safer at the base. Hopefully it wasn't just because Naru was there going over the data for that day.

"We need a camera up in the attic," he told Yui, who made a note on something nearby.

I fazed them out a bit as one of my more favorite parts of the book came up. The heroine was putting to action her plan of escape by first drugging the maid who kept tabs on her and cutting off her hair in order to complete the disguise. A small satchel of rubies under a stone, a dagger, a green dress that fit just right—hopefully she wouldn't get caught.

A pair of fingers snapped between me and my book.

"Did you hear me?"

I blinked stupidly at Naru. He sighed.

"When did you have your vision in the attic?"

"Right after I lifted those boxes of newspapers. Have you found anything in them?"

"Besides mouse droppings, no. There are a few ads for what could have been the Thai antiques the previous owner would have been looking for, but unless we find one of them floating around here, I don't see it as relevant."

I pouted. Nothing I found was ever relevant, or at least he would never admit it as.

"If needed, you could take me to the exact place you found them, right?"

"Why? So you could test the dust?"

"No, so I could look for secret compartments. Really, Mai, whatever you're reading it's killing your brain cells."

If I hadn't been curious and tired and maybe a bit too attached to the story, I would have chucked my book at his face. I took aim with it, though, hoping that would get the message across. "Okay, smart ass, what are you thinking? Already have this case solved?"

"Yes." He said in that smug little tone of his that suggested the rest of us should have caught on as well. "The vision you had was of a baby that died in the womb, so a stillborn or a late term abortion, and there is only one Thai talisman I can think of that could involved that."

"Which would be?"

"A Kuman Thong," said Lin from the computer. "Ancient Thai black magic, and highly illegal if it's the real artifact. Most found now a days are plastic figurines used to make domestic shrines with much more docile affects, such as everyday good luck. Kind of like a pet talisman—if given the right offerings."

"Let me guess: no offerings, bad luck?"

"More or less. Offerings to today's Kuman Thongs consist of a sweet red beverage, like a soda or Kool-Aid, and small children's toys."

"If the previous owner had managed to figure out a trade for real Kuman Thongs," said Naru, "it would have been highly lucrative. It would also explain why he would have hid them away where no one could find them and not have told anyone they existed before he died."