Chapter 1

RE-EDITING IN PROGRESS!

I was running away from them. I still couldn't shift though which probably wouldn't even help me if I could. Now it probably wouldn't matter because I couldn't breathe. I knew an asthma attack was coming on. I felt my leg drag slightly, but just enough to where I fell to the ground as I start to gasp for air. My lungs seemed to constrict every time I tried to breathe in.

"Zehlinah!" Kioko screamed. "Where are you?"

I tried to yell, but my oxygen intake was coming even smaller than before. Soon enough my best friend popped out from the trees. He came running towards me until a body collided with his.

"Leave her!" Alpha Troy growled. "Either she breathe's on her own and stays with the pack, or she is out."

"She can't breathe." my ass of a brother says. "I hate her too, but this isn't right man. It's her birthday."

"Leave her, Kano!" Troy says, his power seeking through his words making them final. "You already knew this day was coming." Kano stops dead in his tracks, Kioko stops struggling. I knew they were unable to help me. An Alphas order holds power and dominance and you can't go against it.

"Pl..p..ple..eas...ease..." I barely managed.

Troy's head snaps toward my direction and he hisses, "No."

Then something miraculously happens.

Something routed deep in my bones. 

My body seems to awaken, my eyes become clearer, my soul comes alive. 'Mate'.

His eyes go wide, he yells letting Kioko go. "NO!"

I knew in that moment that he was rejecting me. I just couldn't feel the difference because I was already in so much agonizing pain. Nothing he could say or do could make it worse. I saw our whole pack standing a couple feet away observing. Not even willing to help. Kano was the last living blood relative I had, but he couldn't stand to look at me after our parents died. I never could understand why. I use to be his favorite, at least I thought I was. Not anymore. He's still my favorite though. I have enough love for the both of us. 

"You're disgusting." Troy hissed lowly as he knelt down towards me. "If you make it, which you probably won't, keep your mouth shut or I will shut it permanently. Got it?" He stood up again slightly shoving dirt towards me. 

***

The pack's just standing and observing. None of them willing to help. Sick people. Every single one of them.

The girl Zehlinah was just laying there trying to breathe. Gasping for air. Literally clawing at her throat. I want to help, but a line stands between us. If I stepped over our boundaries into theirs we'd be fair game. They wouldn't see me as their god who they offered up sacrifices too, they would see another Alpha. I had to be patient and play my cards right no matter how much I wanted to kill them all.

Suddenly something in the air changed. I watched the Alpha's eyes go wide and he yelled. "NO!"

I knew in an instant that they were mates. You could smell the change in the air. The slight intake of breathe from Zehlinah. Yet no one else seemed to realize.

Something in my gut twisted. Sorrow? Anger? Pity? Jealously? 

No. I barely knew the girl.

She was so close to the border line between our territories. If she could just move a little more our way I'd be able to help without being seen. As if she heard me, she rolled backwards and was now facing my direction. Her eyes were so sad, yet so stunning. Her eyes held such vibrant colors ranging from sky-blue to emerald green and grey. They were so innocent and with each fading moment even that seemed to start fading. She wasn't over weight like they said, she was thick and curvy. I couldn't find anything that was unattractive about her. She had wild fire red hair, the curls were deep, tangled and matted. Her skin wasn't exactly pale, but not near as caramel as she could be. A few freckles running across her nose. She was actually quite beautiful.

Her face was alarmingly turning a different color. Her breathing becoming slower and slower. Her eyes seemed to be begging me to help her even though I knew she couldn't see me.

She was dying and we both could feel it. 

***

Was I dying? She thought to herself. 

It felt as if my body was starting to shut down, my heart was beating slower and slower and my throat felt as if it was almost completely closed.

"Her hearts stopping!" Kioko screamed, trying to get to me. Alpha Troy stopped him again.

"Leave her!" He said. 

"No she--" a loud smack sounded and Kioko was on the ground. His lip bleeding.

"I said Leave her." Alpha Troy said. "She'll either come through or she will make a fine sacrifice for our god. "

Die? I haven't even had my first shift yet. I would never be able to get to feel what our kind has felt when they are in their true form. I would never get to experience the world through those eyes. 

"Let's go!" Troy's voice boomed. "We'll return later to see if she's still alive. We will not have a weak pack."

The sounds of shuffling started, and I knew everyone was leaving. As soon as everyone was gone Troy stopped and looked back towards me. I couldn't move. I was stuck staring into his eyes. Those beautiful, yet so cruel brown eyes. I just tried to suck in as much air as I could. I was about five feet away from the line where many have disappeared after being offered up to our god. Maybe they can make my death quick. Just maybe.

Troy leaned down grabbing the front of my shirt. I would've shrieked or something, but I now officially couldn't breathe. My eyes were starting to close.

"Glad to be on the same terms." Then he released me, and left.

My eyes flickered closed for a few seconds until I felt strong arms hauling me up. I opened my eyes to see a huge man. I realized he crossed the lines to grab me. He carried me back to his side and deeper into the woods. Finally he set me down and did something so shocking. He put his lips to mine and blew.