Chapter Three

She awoke to something warm streaming on her face. She peaked her eyes open slowly, slightly blinded by the sun coming in through the slits of the curtains. Nia felt sore all over, all the way from her hair follicles to her toenails, but the worst part was her neck. 

"Your awake." a soft voice said next to her. Nia would've normally freaked, but for some reason she didn't feel threatened nor scared. She saw a elderly woman who was sitting in a chair  by the door with knitting needles and thread in her hands. "I'll go alert the Alpha your awake." With that the lady left.

Nina sat up slowly grimacing as she swung her legs over the side getting ready to stand up. Where was she? She glanced around the room taking in her surroundings as best as she could. She was sore all over, there was a slight throbbing in her neck. She reached her hands up and winced at the tender flesh. Soon enough the door opened again. Nina did a double take. It was the man from across the line and he was now making his way towards her. 

Nina shrunk into herself not daring to look up.

She felt his hand reach down and lightly graze over her neck. She gasped as she felt light tingles run through her. "It's healing nicely. That's good. How are you feeling, laʻu Pele Nina?"

What does that even mean? What do I say?  She shook her head feeling confused. Why is he being nice to me?  

"Because your important." He said, smiling gently as he placed a few fingers against her forehead. "You almost died Nina, I just want to make sure your feeling better before you meet your new pack."

If by feeling better you mean not wanting to die because I was rejected from my pack and my mate then, yeah, sure I feel fan fucking tastic. She said in her head. Then she looked up startled. "My new pack? What do you mean?"

He took a knee in front of her somewhat hesitating before grabbing one of her hands. "Laʻu Pele, you are safe here, that I can promise. I have severed your old pack with our new bond. I hope you will not be so sad or angry by doing so. You are strong and beautiful and I know you will be great for us." He smiled at her so kindly, his eyes crinkled.

She felt tears spring to her eyes. "Why?" 

"A pack should be run by love and kindness, not fear and punishment. That isn't really a pack." he said, looking into her eyes. "We are different, no one is above another, we are kind and we can help you. We will help you. If you'll let us."

"It's not like I have another choice or another place to go." she whispered, looking at his hands.

"You will always have a choice, laʻu Pele." he said, standing up and tugging my arm to follow. "Now I know it's a bit much for you now, but everyone is dying to finally meet you."

He pulled her out of the room and out through the place to make their way outside. There were people everywhere. Children chasing each other, women hanging laundry, some peeling potatoes and men were chatting in groups. Everyone was smiling. There were so many colors of fabrics and various parts filled with fruits of all kinds. It was actually kind of beautiful.

No one turned to stare, only some made a move to get closer as too not overwhelm her and she appreciated it. An old woman in a pelt made of bear came forward and reach a hand to her chest. "Aulelei... laʻitiiti, Iosefa."

Nina looked towards him with a questioning gaze. "I don't understand."

"You will in time." he said smiling back towards the elderly woman."E matua matagofie lava o ia, a ea? Tinamatua?"

The woman laughed patting her cheeks nodding as she moved out of the way. More came one right after the other. They were kind and kept calling her Aulelei. She had no idea what they meant. It was mainly the elders that called her that. Most of the people spoke English as well. They made her try many of their delicacies and various kinds of dishes, she was changed into a beautiful silk cloth and a warm light fur top that the man had given her. She had yet to ask his name although he knows hers. Many people had had started murmuring when he helped her drape the fur top on over her. She didn't quite understand a lot of things that were going on. 

***

Later on as night was rising they sat side by side as the fire grew large. "Thank you... " Nina whispered to him, trying to look at his face.

"Iosefa." he said, returning her gaze. "My name is Iosefa."

She nodded, repeating the name in her head as most of the people were dancing around the fire and singing tunes in their language. She was started to feel drowsy as she looked out among the people. "Everyone is so happy here. So kind and giving. It's so different."

He made a humming noise as he stared at her staring at the fire. The light cascading down her face. He felt for her like he did all his people. He became leader when he was fifteen years old. He didn't really have a choice, but he doesn't regret it. Not even five years later. He was happy. They were happy. Everything was going great. The land they owned was one of the largest in the state. Their alliances were of many. "Everything changes. Sometimes for the good and sometimes for the bad. That's just how life is, laʻu Pele."

"What does that mean? La pela?" she asked, her eyes fighting not to close.

He chuckled, leaning over to pat her head. "Rest, laʻu Pele. Maybe I'll tell you tomorrow."

She made a noise of disagreement, even though her body responded to her new Alphas command. She felt herself falling into a deep slumber once again, but this time she felt safe. Maybe, just maybe things would be okay.