Thirst | IX

I started writing a message on paper that I had found in the Doctor’s office for Noah, if he actually came back looking for me, using the skills either the doctor or Andy had taught me about writing- they always made sure I could write ahead of my age- and when I was done, I sat back down on the grass.

After a few minutes had past, I started to get really bored. I got up, and started to walk towards the building. I was going to try to sneak back in.

I actually did it, too. I snuck pass all of the security cameras, guard dogs, and little gadgets in the floor. I took a deep breath when I was back in my cage, and firmly locked myself in there. I relaxed a little, but then thought of Noah.

He'd be waiting for me, and when I didn't come, would he come back? Would he keep going? I'd broken a promise to him, but it was for both of our goods. But I didn't think he knew that. He should just keep going, he still has a chance to live a normal life. I didn't.

I heard the doctor's angry voice muttering, most likely to himself, and then the door burst open. He had a red face, which got even redder when he saw that Noah was missing. He walked over to my cage, and just angrily stood there staring at me. I must say, I almost started laughing. Almost.

"Where is he?" He asked, crossing his arms. His eyes were twitching from anger.

"Noah?"

"Yes, Noah. The boy who was in the cage next to you. The boy who just escaped. I know you know how he did it, and where he's going, so tell me, and your punishment won't be as severe."

"I," I put on big innocent eyes, "have no idea what you're talking about. I fell asleep, and the next thing I knew I woke up to sirens and he was gone."

He put his face right up against the cage door, centimetres away from mine. "Don't lie to me, kid. I know you helped him escape. You'll tell me where he's going."

"You've just run yourself into a problem. I don't know where he is going!" It was the truth. "And I didn't help him escape!" One of the things I've learnt here was how to lie efficiently. "So don't ask me, because I won't tell you because I don't know!"

"You know something, I know you do. Don't hide it from me. I just want to know where he is going, and I won't bother you about it again."

"I told you, I don't know!” I tried not to yell, but only half succeeded.

"Why are you being so stubborn? Are you trying to protect him?"

"I'm telling you, I don't know where he is going! And even if I did, I wouldn't tell you!" As soon as the words were out of my mouth, I knew they had been the wrong thing to say.

"Ah-ha!" He cried. "You do know something! You just admitted it!"

"I didn't admit anything. All I said was even if I did know, which I don't, I wouldn't tell you! How many times do I have to say it! I don't know!"

He slammed his hands on the cage, making me jump back a little. "You won't get away with this. You know something, and I'm going to find out. I'll use every force necessary if I have to. One way or another, I'm going to find out what you know, and you're going to regret not telling me anything." He turned on his heels, and walked out of the room, slamming the door.

                                                                                 ◊◊◊◊

 "Zara." My name rang in my ears. "Zara!" I realised someone was talking to me, trying to get my attention. I turned, and saw Andy. He didn't look happy, but he didn't look angry either. "Zara why didn't you escape with Noah?" When I didn't answer, he continued, "Why did you smash the cure?"