Part 1

Dear Diary,

I have so much to tell you tonight. I feel as though my entire kingdom is crumbling around me! We have been at war for ages, there is hardly anyone left to fight, as you already know, and the enemy, those bastardly French, won't just acknowledge that Grandfather has died and that Papa is not trying to capture France any more. Now they're even trying to steal from us! I know Mama and Papa are trying to not get me involved, but they're so worried and I want to help! Last night when Mama was in my room to tell me good night, Papa came rushing in with a terrible expression. Mama rushed out at once. We didn't even finish praying! I was so terrified that I couldn't lay down. Papa is normally so calm! I knew whatever had made even him ever so unset must have been terrible indeed. Alas! How I wish my curiosity had not been aroused. But for it, I might still be reading in our library with Eralyn at my side, not a fearful thought on my mind. Eralyn is so innocent; she is going about business as normal. But I still haven't told you what happened.

Ok. So when Mama ran out with Papa, or came as close to running as she ever has, I crept out of my soft, deep bed, carefully so as not to ruffle the silk coverlets that are always so warm, but yesterday they gave me no comfort. It was so mysterious, Papa always says I have an overactive imagination, but I would swear that this was real. I can still picture the scene; the floor felt like ice, and the door creaked slightly when I opened it. I remember nearly gasping and giving myself away when I peered out the tiny chasm between the door and wall. There were even politicians in our castle! At night! That had never happened before. Oh, diary, I'm so terrified that the French will win the war and I will be executed, or worse, forced to marry that terrible, ugly, cruel prince and give them a permanent claim to our throne. Anyways, I keep getting distracted, and soon Eralyn will get suspicious; I know I don't normally have this much to tell you.

I heard the nobles whispering with Papa and Mama, they said something about a sword, but the words were so indistinct. I recall wishing, praying, hoping that they weren't speaking of Papa's magical blade, handed down from King Arthur himself. If we had lost that, the entire war would be as good as over! It was even worse! The king's sword was missing, and there were battle plans gone! The plans were for previous battles, but it was almost as if somebody was taunting us. One oversized noble said that it was a fluke, and nothing like it would happen again, and the sword would show up eventually. Another, a general, said we should use it as a battle cry to rouse the people into a frenzy against the French. Then there was one person who finally made sense, the maid, who had been the first to miss the objects. She said, bowing low, as is only right, "Well, your majesties and honors, it is my humble opinion that we should use what the criminal left to track them. Your majesty has in your study the hat, riding crop, and parchment that the man dropped, perhaps, my lord, we could recapture the lost items and catch the culprit before he even leaves the country." Papa seemed to actually listen to her, nodding, rather than waving his hands as he had to the other speakers. Then he said, "I will analyze them tomorrow, perhaps all day, and no one is to interrupt me." I perked up, wondering. Diary, do you think it's possible for me to catch the criminal? It would be just like a storybook tale, with me and someone, OH! Eralyn could be my sidekick! I'll have to figure out a way to look at those clues. This is so exciting! Thank you diary, you have just made my day!

"Eralyn! Come here!"

Chapter Question: What type of Princess do you think that Princess Sofia is? What are some Characteristics you think that she has?

As always, vote and comment! Thank you for reading!