Good Morning

Dr. Jones rushed as fast as she could to the lab room. She clutched her folder full of papers to her chest along with her clipboard in one hand. In the other she had a tiny device blinking bright pink. She looked at her watch and sped around a corner, almost slamming into the intern on the other side. Finally she turned down a final corridor and slowed down. She put the device in one pocket and brushed down her lab coat to look presentable. She tugged on her dark ponytail and pushed open the large laboratory doors. The room went silent as all the heads in the room turned toward the noise. 

     "Oh! She finally makes it!" A skinny, grey haired man said to Dr. Jones as he smiled and spread his arms wide. "Everyone! This is Dr. Jones. She's on of the leading scientists in this company and specializes in weaponry design." Nods and respected looks came from the audience members. The man turned to look at the woman. "So what happened?" His smile faded.

     "Hello Dr. Young. I'm glad I could make it on time. I finished the piece and it's ready to be implanted." She said after catching her breath. She pulled the little device out of her pocket and handed it to Dr. Young.  He inspected it for a short while and handed it back. 

     "You checked for bugs?" A nod from Dr. Jones. 

    "Checked for loose wires or malfunctioning parts?" Another nod. 

    "You followed procedure?" A final nod. 

    "Good. Then let's go test it." Dr. Young gestured for her to go ahead after pushing the wide doors open again. Dr. Jones walked briskly down the halls with Dr. Young close behind. They came to an elevator and they pressed a button to go down to the restricted bottom floor. The doors opened and Dr. Jones punched in a long complicated string of numbers into the access pad. The hurried down a long darkly lit hallway with many different labeled and colored doors. Finally they reached a small pink door near the middle. Dr. Jones pulled a matching colored key card and swiped it across the sensor. It flashed green and the door unlocked. Dr. Young looked at the test subject in the middle of the room and smiled like a maniac. 

    "There she is!" He walked up to the purple and pink fetus in the middle of a large liquid filled tube. It looked relatively human, aside from the color of the skin. Around it was many flower petals of different shades but of similar appearance. 

   "Once we implant the chip it should change to a human skin tone," Dr. Jones informed Dr, Young, "Here, I pulled up all of the information about the specimen." She cleared her throat and began reading, "The Modified Flower-Specimen P: This experiment is to provide very cheap/ almost free service to humans. They take only a few months to produce but only one has been made so far: Specimen A. These humanoids are stronger, smarter, and are able to work longer than an average human. The specimen will gain one ability depending on it's personality at a certain age. Finally, the specimen will gain the fragrance and appearance of the flower it was modified from. The chip to be implanted will provide it with the skills mentioned above." She looked over her shoulder at Dr. Young, who was still staring intensely at the fetus. 

   "Yes, yes. That sounds good. Come over here so we can start the final test." Dr. Jones walked over and handed him the chip. He placed it in a small slot about the level of the fetus in the tube. He pressed a few buttons located on the slot and it retracted back into the tube and into the baby inside.

   "This is perfect! It's all going according to plan! Once Specimen P is finished we can put her with Specimen A. He may be young but he can still take watch over S.P." Dr. Jones looked back at the computer. He put his hands on the glass. Dr. Young let out a deranged laugh.

   "Oh just wait and see what we have in store for you little one. You're going to love it here... Petunia."