Remembrance

Pep stared at a place on the wall that should be window and sighed. It was such a nice day out... probably. Pep has never been outside. Always stuck between these grey lifeless walls and getting pushed around by older people in blinding white coats. She sighed again and looked around at the stained covered walls. The room was bare accept for a toilet, a sink, a brush, a clock, and a mirror. It's been 15 years since Pep was shoved through that shabby one windowed door so she knew them well.
On the door was two slots. One for books or anything to entertain herself with and the other for food. Sometimes she would look out the window and see her older brother, Aster. He is quite tall and and his hair has light purple with a hint of yellow with dark purple ends. It is parted to one side that's short and wavy looking and the other half is shaved. He has unique pale pink eyes to match his hair. Aster is often confused so Pep has to explain things to him. He's protective of his siblings and will always take their place while their in danger.
Pep stood up and walked over to the mirror. She inspected her short vibrant pink hair and wondered if the purple at the roots was fading a bit. She grabbed the brush and started on her hair knowing well in advance that it was going to get messy later. She put the brush down and went up the the window to see Aster. He was standing on the other side. Pep tapped on the glass as quietly as she could but to still get his attention. He heard the knock and looked up at the window as well. He saw his little sister across the hall and beamed. He was always happy to see her.
He waves and tapped out a code on the window. "R-E-A-D-Y/F-O-R/S-E-S-S-I-O-N-?"
She took a second to decode the taps.
"Y-E-S," she tapped out, "B-U-T/T-H-E/O-T-H-E-R-S-?" Aster just nodded and looked down the hall as best as he could. He looked a bit worried but when he turned to look through the window again he smiled so he wouldn't worry Pep. She wasn't fooled that easily. She waved off the window and turned around toward the mirror again. She took a long look at herself. Into her own violet eyes. At the tattered grey shirt she wore everyday. She knew this day. Pep knew what was coming.
Today was the biggest test of the year. It happens every year on this day. It was a test of strength, endurance, agility, and finally a maintenance test. The beginning was easy for the oldest of the eight. It consist of simple lifting tests, a long running test, and a dodging test. But the worst part was the last. They would cut them open one by one is a dark room with one light shining over them. They would check for problems and if they found one... Pep didn't want to think about it.
Quite a while ago the coat people introduced who was, at the time, the sixth Specimen. His name was Colum. Colum was sweet and he wanted everyone to be happy. He was constantly smiling and cracking the best jokes he could for a ten year old. Some of them made even Pep laugh. He had light blue hair with white and dark purple streaks in it. Colum was closest to Pep, often discussing what was going to happen in the future. The day of the test arrived and they had finished the other simpler tests. They went oldest to youngest, Aster being first and Colum was last, as usual. The most stressful part was that back then didn't tell you where you go if they find a problem so none of them knew. Finally, Colum came out of the testing room looking quite shaken. At the time Pep just disregarded the expressions because it was Colum's first time.
A couple days pass and Colum seemed quieter and quieter. The others started to get worried but Aster told them it was just a scary experience but Pep didn't fall for that. Later that night she snuck out of her room and into his. She asked him what happened in the lab and he told her everything. First he told her that the L.Ps (lab people) asked him if anything seemed wrong with his body. He answered truthfully and told them that he often got headaches and couldn't breath for short periods of time. He couldn't see their expressions and they started work quickly. They poked and prodded inside of him but for some reason he couldn't feel it. Finally, they finished and put him back together. Colum was shaking as he told the next part. He said that one of them pulled off their white masks and leaned down right next to his ear and said, "We've found a slight problem. Say goodbye to the other specimens, little one."
Colum was quietly sobbing and Pep put a hand to her mouth. She hugged him close and didn't let go. They fell asleep like that. The next morning the L.P found them together and they separated them. They slammed Pep back into her room but they took Colum down the hall to another. Pep couldn't see down the corridor and find out what was happening. She heard what was happened and slumped down the wall and cried. She didn't stop, even when the L.P punished her severely. They kicked her and dragged her around as if they were trying to make her forget but she will never forget the screams that were coming from the little room down the hall.
Pep shook her head violently and stopped thinking about that awful day. She took a look at the clock and hurried to get herself ready and in the proper training clothes. She slipped out of her night clothes and into her t-shirt and running shorts. The stood a few feet in front of the door and counted down the seconds.
Five... Four... Three... Two... One... The door to the room popped open.