1.

‘Maybe if you’d come out of your room more than twice a day I’d gain some damn trust in you!’
My mother yelled at me. ‘Well sorry but I don’t have any fucking reason to come out of my room because if I do all that happens is you fucking whining about all the things I do wrong! You’re not much of a motivation, you know!’ I yelled back. I was done. This kept happening, every day. I wasn’t getting any better of it. She wanted me to come back and listen, but I didn’t. I slammed the door behind me, locked it, put in my headphones and made the world around me disappear.
Tonight I was doing it. I couldn’t go on like this much longer; this house was driving me crazy. At 2:30am I grabbed my stuff; iPod, headphones, all the money I had, some hair stuff and a few things I just couldn’t leave behind. I also took my phone, but took the SIM-card out of it. I put on my best walking-shoes, a camisole, a cardigan, a jacket and my plain jeans. I put my hair in a ponytail, brushed my teeth and packed my bag. I took a look inside the mirror for the last time. I wrote a note to my mom. ‘Just don’t search for me, I’ll be okay. Promise.’ Was all I wrote. I knew my mom wouldn’t call the police. Basically just because she didn’t care that much. I took a mint, opened the window and let myself fall onto the grass. I rushed to the nearest tram station and bought tickets for the place as far away as possible, and away I went.

My name is Alice. I am 16 years old and I live in Oxford, Great Britain. As you might have noticed I’m not having a lot of fun at home. My parents are divorced. I only get to see my dad once a year (if it isn’t less) and so I live with my mother.
Ever since the divorce (which was 7 years ago), my mother had completely shut down. She started drinking and smoking a lot, and sometimes she just randomly disappeared for 2 days, forcing me to take care of my 12 year old brother, Tyler. She had stopped working after the divorce, and so she didn’t have any money left to go to school. What she didn’t know was that my father had left €100,000 behind for me to take care of myself. I was more grateful than ever when he gave it to me, but I didn’t think I would need it anytime soon except for maybe paying the electricity bills for my mother. But very soon I realized that my father had always known something like this was going to happen. He had always supported me. He had taught me so many things. I couldn’t blame my father for leaving. It sucked here. And now, I was leaving too.

I stared at the houses passing by. When the tram had come to the last stop, I went further by train.
I wasn’t scared. I felt relieved. Tyler was sleeping at one of his friends’ houses tonight, and since the parents knew about our situation at home, I was convinced that they wouldn’t just leave Tyler alone with my mother. They would take care of him, and maybe of my mother as well.
I watched two raindrops travel down the window and wondered which one would reach the bottom first. I bet on the left one. I got pulled out of my thoughts as the conductor was standing in front of me asking for me to show him my ticket. I gave him a friendly smile as I took the ticket out of my pocket and showed it to him. He ripped it, gave it back and wished me a pleasant trip.
The train I was in right now was heading to London. I was told I would arrive at about 9 am. I was excited. I had a positive view of my future. I would hire an apartment, start off small with a simple job but climb up higher as soon as I could. 
As the train went underground, I took my favorite book out of my backpack and started reading.

I woke up to a familiar female voice saying something. My mother? No, of course not. I woke up in the train and could just hear the robot-like voice say ‘London’. Shit. Was this my stop? I quickly packed all my stuff and ran towards the train doors. Just before they closed I slipped out of the train.
 I stood in the large station hall and looked around for some kind of information office.
I knew I had to find a hotel soon. I saw a basket with free flyers next to a bookshop and decided to take a look. I read ‘London Residences’ on the cover and silently thanked god for not being hard on me. The nearest motel was just around the corner, I figured. I made sure I had all my stuff and stepped outside, smelling in the London-air.

‘What name can I write down?’ asked the woman in the motel. Her nameplate read the name ‘Donna’. Fitted her perfectly. ‘Alice Winterland.’ I said to her, smiling back just as fake. She handed me a key which had the number 62 on it. I thanked her friendly and made my way to my room. I had booked for 5 days.
I opened the door with the key Donna had given me and looked around the hotel room, putting down my bags and kicking off my Vans. It wasn’t bad. It contained everything I needed. I was exhausted after such a long trip and immediately jumped into the double bed, getting comfortable. Before I knew it, I was in a deep sleep.

I woke up. I looked around the unfamiliar room, feeling good. It felt great to be out of there.
Since English was my first language I wouldn’t have any trouble finding my way around here, even though I’d never been in London before. I got out of bed, fixed my hair, grabbed my phone and left the hotel room, making my way down the corridor. My stomach started growling as the smell of coffee entered my nose. I hadn’t eaten for almost a whole day. I entered the bed-n-breakfast room and looked around. I picked a table in the corner of the room and left my stuff on it as I grabbed a plate and started putting different kinds of food on it. I ate gratefully while thinking about what I was going to do today. I had to find an apartment as soon as possible. Luckily I knew Emma…