chapter 1

One-shot #1: An Awful Lot of Firsts, 1982

Freddy Fazbear and the gang had just finished their final night of Mr. Fazbach's "Sensitivity Training," meaning that they could now roam around the restaurant on their own, as opposed to having guided conversations as an act. The entire Fazbear clan was nervous, and excited, for their first time mingling with humans. Nathan instilled some advice on the final night of training.

"Alright, guys, this is it! You're going out among the people now, so be ready!" Nathan had said, "Just remember: If you're creeping them out, move on. If you're scaring them, move on. If they seem upset, make them feel good. Got it?" The animatronics nodded, and Nathan clapped his hands.

"Great! Knock 'em dead!" he encouraged.

"What!?" Freddy exclaimed.

"Relax, it's an expression. It means good luck," Nathan explained gently.

"Why didn't ya just say that?" Chica asked.

"Aye, if it be meaning tha same..." Foxy agreed.

"Guys, look, you're gonna have to learn this stuff. Don't go biting my head off," Nathan said. Foxy took several steps toward the mechanic.

"Expression!" Nathan cried, raising his hands up and backing away. Foxy grinned.

"I know," the fox said.

"That's not funny," Nathan shot back, "Not with your teeth." Foxy paused, and frowned.

"Please, both of you, just stop," Freddy policed, "That's incredibly morbid."

"Alright, but seriously, good luck tomorrow guys," Nathan said, and grabbed his tool box and walked out.

Freddy, Bonnie, and Chica kept Nathan's advice in mind as they waited behind the curtain of the show stage. Bonnie fidgeted with her guitar, wringing the neck with her paws. Chica would occasionally huff, and shift her weight from foot to foot, while Freddy was starting to cause his microphone to warp in his grip. The usual recorded voice introduced them.

"Okay kids, get ready! It's time for Freddy, Bonnie, and Chica! Presenting, the Freddy Fazbear Band!"

Music began to play, and the curtain rose up. The animatronics were greeted with a cheer from the crowd, and immediately the show began to start as usual.

"Hi kids! It's me, Freddy! Are you ready to have a good time?" Freddy asked cheerfully.

"Yeah!" the kids in the Dining Hall shouted in unison.

"Great! C'mon, gang! Let's do it!" Freddy prompted, and they began to sing their usual songs. Through the show, they could see one of Foxy's eyes looking out through a small slit in the Pirate's Cove curtain, watching with a smile. The show consisted of several songs, usually pizza-themed parodies of popular songs or kid favorites, spaced out by friendly banter between the members of the band. These were usually filled with groan inducing puns.

Finally, the last song was sung, and the music died down, followed by applause. Most of the children returned to their food, and the adults to their conversations. While most of the guests were distracted, Bonnie leaned her guitar up backstage, Freddy replaced his microphone to its stand while Chica observed the crowd, occasionally waving to a child. The animatronics grouped together, and took a collective moment, then stepped off the stage into the audience.

Initially, nobody seemed to notice the animatronics were on their own, expecting the usual questions and answers, until a family noticed Bonnie standing behind them, looking over their shoulders with interest. The kids squealed in delight.