Four • Alicia

Four • Alicia

Have you ever noticed how peculiarly time works?

Seconds tick by. And once sixty of those gather up, they turn into minutes. And minutes turn to hours, and hours turn to days.

This just goes on and on, whether you pay attention to it or not. It's like some invisible force, guiding us as we go on.

And somehow—for some other weirdly unexplainable reason—it also seems to speed up and slow down.

This was the case when I slumped down in my seat, having just finished a science quiz.

I had nothing to do and no one to talk to. The familiar feeling of boredom suddenly started creeping into my head.

I inwardly let out a sigh. Time moved so slow.

The test was simple, and there was still around eighteen minutes left until we got to submit our papers. Math was the next period. I couldn't wait to start solving algebraic expressions. At that point, anything was better than doing nothing.

Every second went by agonizingly slow as I mentally made a list of all the useful  things that I could actually be doing right then.

"Alicia Moore, please proceed to the principal's office."

The class stirred, all of a sudden.

The boy beside me, Caden Taylor (who also happened to be one of my best friends), lifted his head from the desk and stared at me with a look that said: What did you do now?

I shrugged in reply and walked over to the door, also wondering why I had been called to that one room where quivering students go inside and come back out crying.

Yep. This'll be real fun.

The hallway was unnaturally silent as I walked through it. My footsteps echoed loudly with every step.

So that was what the halls were like when classes were on. It was definitely a huge difference from the busy, noise-filled, student packed halls I wandered through everyday.

The office of terror and possible death  (as the students named it) wasn't too far from my classroom. It was literally just around the corner.

I stood in front of the door and stared at it.

Did I really want to go in there? Heck no.

Did I need to? Unfortunately.

I wrapped my fingers around the (overly—) polished doorknob in front of me. With a decisive sigh, I pushed the door open.

"H-hello."I said, stumbling inside.

I felt like a statue. And as much as I'd love to say that's just me being over-dramatic, nope. I legitimately froze the minute I stepped inside.

Mrs. Peters—The school principal—was a stern looking woman who was usually feared by the students of our school. Her posture was perfect as she motioned for me to sit, gesturing to a small wooden stool in front of her desk.

I braced myself for what was about to come.

Mrs. Peters inhaled deeply. She stared at me through thickly-rimmed glasses that rested on the bridge of her nose. Her eyes were a strangely sharp shade of gray.

Finally, she leaned forward on her desk and spoke:

"Do you trust me?"

Now, I was starting to get terrified. That certainly wasn't an inviting first question to ask a nervously shaking student. Her eyes were locked unto mine.

And yet, there was something about her demeanor that made be believe that this terrifying woman in front of me was to be trusted with all my life.

"Yes." The sureness of my voice startled me. I didn't I expect myself to feel so reassured, and yet I did.

Mrs. Peters' face softened, all of a sudden. A expression that was very different from the stern stare she held on all her students flashed on her face, but it only remained there for a second. I couldn't identify what it was. Sympathy, maybe. But one couldn't be too sure.

"Would you believe me," she said, pausing for a moment or two to breath. "If I said that you were a daughter of a Greek god?"

My mouth opened, but no sound came out. I wanted to yell "Sure, and you're a magical fairy princess!" But I was rather sure that then wasn't the time for satirical statements.

"No."

A small smile crept it's way unto Mrs. Peters' face. "Honest girl. So I assume we'll have to do this the hard way, isn't that right?"

My eyebrows raised. "What?"

She grinned at me, instead of answering my question directly.

"Ms. Moore, I am not a woman of foolishness and distractions, so allow me to proceed straight to the point." She eventually said as I sat there, idiotically unaware of everything that was possibly happening around me.

"Unfortunately for you—if you would prefer to live a normal undisturbed life, that is—you are a demigod, a child of one of the gods and a human. This has its many advantages and disadvantages, including going on perilous voyages, staying at a camp for other demigods like you, constantly being terrorized by monsters and so on and so forth. I do hope you were able to digest all that information, dear, as now, I will personally be taking you to Camp."

I felt like throwing up the remains of the macaroni and cheese I ate for lunch. The information Mrs. Peters had just given me was, well, overwhelming to say at the very least.

Although, to my surprise, the bewilderment I had just experience almost immediately faded away, only to be replaced with sudden drowsiness.

The last thing I thought before my eyes snapped shut was "Well, at least I was able to skip math class."

•A/N•

Heyyo!

Sorry I haven't updated in quite some time, I've been rather busy. Thank goodness, now my schedule is much less busy and I'm free to write again!

So, how's the story so far?

If you're enjoying this, click that golden star up there and leave a comment! Seeing your votes and comments always make my day.

Constructive criticism is more than welcome, as well!

¡Adios!

-rosemaryreddings