Capítulo Cinco

Capítulo Cinco

                                                 "Aquí nadie sale vivo."

                                              -No one here gets out alive.-

                                                                                – Jim Morrison

            My fingernails dug into the smooth wood furnish that covered the entire room.

            The pain was engulfing me, luring me further into its never ending abyss. My tiny hand encircled my throat, clutching for dear life. I breathed in, yet nothing came out. The more I tried to catch my breath, the more I suffocated, causing me to panic all the more.

            My eyes didn’t want to open and yet I could tell it was in the room, standing right in front of me.

            The air mixed with growls and a faint smell of the haunting sea..

            I was panting. I didn’t dare look up; much less open them to slits and peek at the creature.

          I whimpered, feeling the sliver of its scales across my legs. The sensation was never-ending; I gasped, realizing it was its tail. It was thick, leaving an imprint wherever it traveled.   

            I stilled when it spoke. The language it spoke seemed ancient. I could barely understand it, but I knew the melody – it was branded in my head countless of times. The words came, slapping me on the face. I gaped as it sang.    

“Duérmete niño, duérmete ya.”

-Sleep child, sleep now...-

“Que viene el Cucuy y te comerá.”

-Or else the Cucuy will come and eat you-

            That lullaby.

             It was the one mama sung to me before bed. She’d only sing it when I wouldn’t obey her or Father – when I was being a bad girl.

            I fell in love with the drowsy melody. My mother’s soft coo helped chase out the monster under my bed. I couldn’t help, but wish that my mother was there to chase off the monster in front of me.

            My body shook, goose bumps spreading out on my arms like tiny bed bugs running across them.

            Breathe in, breathe out, breathe in, and breathe out.

            Look up, I thought.  I managed to lift my head from the ground.

            El Cucuy

            Claws enveloped my shoulders; its long tongue licking the sides of my face. I froze. I couldn’t produce a sound. Shutting my eyes, I silently screamed for anyone to help me.   .

             Its malicious smile, I would never forget. My breathing quickened.

            “¿Que haces, Meli?”

            I held my breath. The voice came from the door. My head turned to face her, my eyes meeting her hazel ones, fresh tears sprinkling down my cheeks.