Prologue

Ruby's heart kept racing as she ran, with her sister, Yang trailing behind.

" Stop running! We're here!" Yang called, as Ruby skidded to a halt, looking up at her older sister before padding over, her gray eyes wretched wide.

" Is this really the place? The location of the Moonflower?" she asked, tilting her head.

Yang nodded as a pure white she-cat came padding over to them, complaining as usual.

" Ugh, mud...it makes me look like one of the forest cats." Weiss mumbled, flicking her tail.

A pure black she-cat came trotting over to them, glancing at Weiss for a moment.

" It's mud, it won't kill you Weiss." Blake mewed, her yellow eyes narrowed as usual.

Ruby bounced impatiently," Come on! Hurry up guys!" she whined, bouncing around her older sister.

Yang cuffed her over the ear playfully," Calm down little sister, it's not everyday that we do this." she meowed.

Weiss rolled her eyes," And you two are sisters? How, you both look completely different."

Ruby grinned happily," Our parents were ginger...but our father had black markings and ears."

Weiss looked at her for a moment, before shaking her head," Let's just get this over with..." she mumbled.

Blake cuffed Weiss over the ear with a black paw," She's right though, come on."

Blake looked at them and led them down a hole in the ground, which was surrounded by white flowers.

Ruby looked around, her eyes shining brightly before she went into the hole.

She followed Blake down a tunnel with pink and pale blue stones underneath her paws, her jaws were gaped open.

Yang nudged her shoulder, her gray eyes meeting hers," Don't worry, you'll be fine sis." she mewed.

Blake glanced back at them, before entering a cavern, with water droplets dripping from the ceiling, revealing a white flower with gray spots on the petals.

" The Moonflower....it's so pretty!" Ruby gasped, approaching it.

Yang nodded as she padded to the top of the flower, standing across from her sister, while Blake and Weiss stood on either side.

" Let's begin."

Yang raised her head," Ruby, do you except the spirits of the ancestors into your life?" she asked, staring at her sister.

Ruby swallowed nervously before nodding," I do." she meowed, putting a paw forward.

" Then step forward and press your nose against the Moonflower, and see your symbol." Yang told her, an ember symbol appearing on her chest.

Weiss looked down, a snowflake symbol appearing on her chest. Blake nodded before a claw symbol appeared on her chest.

Ruby shut her eyes, pressing her nose against the Moonflower, letting out a shaky breath.

Her eyes shot open, she was on a grassy plain with ruby red roses surrounding her.

" A rose...." Ruby mewed softly, she closed her eyes before a rose symbol appeared on her chest.

" Ruby Rose....wake up."

Ruby's shot open once more, as Yang nudged her with her black nose," A rose, huh?"

She nodded and looked at her big sister proudly." Mhmm!" she told her proudly, puffing out her chest.

Blake nodded in approval," Let us rest here for the night, then we take off in the morning." she meowed.

Weiss sighed and laid down, resting her head on her paws, resting her tail on her nose," Good night then, don't chatter like birds while I try to sleep...like you always do."

Blake glared at the white she-cat for a moment, before rolling her bright yellow eyes.

Yang and Ruby both looked at each other and grinned happily.

" Let's sleep....good night Ruby." she meowed, smiling.