Chapter 26

'Get up,' Slade growled at Oliver and Laurel. Laurel struggled out of her slumber and Oliver removed his arm from around her shoulders and sat up. 'Get up,' Slade repeated.

Oliver's mouth stretched into a yawn, 'why?'

Slade chucked a heavy bag at Oliver, 'because. Now we can listen in to Fyres' conversations we have an advantage.'

Laurel rubbed her eyes with the back of her palm, she pushed herself from the mattress. Slade offered her a bag, she took it and slung it over her shoulder. 'What did you hear?' She asked as she pulled her dark hair out of her face.

'Something about Cilla?' Slade said hesitantly as if he was unsure.

Oliver's eyes widened, 'Cilla!' He yelled. 'Cilla was a monster in the Odessy.'

Slade turned to Oliver and sneered, 'great.' Oliver forced a fake smile onto his face and flashed it at Slade. Slade returned the cynical expression and said, 'lets go.' The three of them left the plane and began the short trek to Fyres' camp. The fabric was abrasive against Laurel's shoulders, a dull ache formed in her spine as they struggled up a hill. Oliver kept his stare half in Laurel and half on the ground at his feet. He could see the poorly concealed remorse and self-hatred just beneath her mask of false smiles. He slipped his hand into hers, she looked up at him and smiled sadly. Oliver squeezed Laurel's hand and cast his gaze to his front.

Slade ducked beneath a branch and turned left sharply, Oliver frowned and halted. 'Fyres' camp is that way,' he pointed his free hand in the opposite direction.

Slade took a step forwards and drove his blade into the ground forcefully, 'that is why we are going this way.' Slade said as if his motives were obvious. Laurel opened her mouth to speak but Slade interjected, 'we aren't going to the camp. We are going to sit just outside the camp and observe.' Oliver nodded and Slade pulled his blade from the ground, they continued through the sea of green. Soon the border of the camp could be seen, Slade ducked behind a large rock and gestured for Oliver and Laurel to do the same. When they were all hunched behind the rock Slade pulled out a pair of powerful binoculars and held them up to his eyes. It was soon made apparent that 'Cilla' did not need to be viewed through binoculars.

'My god it is a monster,' Slade said in awe. A large grey missile had rolled into view, the eight barrels all aimed at the sky. 'That's an air missile, huge range.' Slade said his mouth having fallen into a shocked gape.

'What use would Fyres have for an air missile?' Oliver asked his expression mirroring Slade's.

Slade snorted, 'Fyres is a mercenary. He is here under someone's order, whatever he is doing he is being paid.'

Laurel tightened her grip around her blade, 'are people going to get hurt?' She shifted uncomfortably in the silence that followed.

Finally Slade said, 'with every job including Fyres their are always multiple fatalities.'

Laurel nodded, 'we have to stop him.'

She readied herself to stand up, Slade grabbed her arm and pulled her back to the floor. 'What the hell are you doing?' He growled. 

Laurel sank back to the floor, 'what?!' She exclaimed in a hushed yell.

'What the hell are you doing?' Slade repeated.

Laurel frowned, 'I don't know.'

'Look we just need to take out those soldiers,' Oliver pointed at the six black clad men.

Slade sighed, 'yes but we cannot kill them all without one of them radioing for backup.'

'If only we could get them all in one place,' Oliver thought out loud. Slade looked at him meaningfully and grinned, 'what?' Oliver asked.

Laurel watched from behind the rock as Oliver and Slade approached the group of men, Oliver had pulled a black balaclava over his head. Slade held his hands behind his back and two pistols were grasped in his hands. Laurel tightened her grip on the blade, it had begun to slip as sweat gathered in her palms. She could hear Oliver yell, 'hey I found him when I was circling the perimeter.' Oliver shoved Slade forwards,  Slade stumbled before regaining his balance.

One of the soldiers snorted and shoved the barrel of his gun in Slade's face, 'you killed some of my men.'

Slade grinned and placed a finger on either trigger, 'and I'm 'gonna kill a few more.' He produced the guns from behind his back and Laurel darted from behind the rock. She flew down the hill as gunshots rang through the air. Laurel came to a halt beside Oliver, they watched in awe as men dropped. The second Slade fired the last bullet he span around, an evil grin plastered across his lips. 'Well, that went well.'

Laurel nodded her mouth hanging open in a terrified gape, the grin refused to part from Slade's lip. Oliver began to move towards the missile, 'we should get rid of this.'

Slade nodded and threw a stick of dynamite at Laurel, 'load it with this.' Laurel nodded and pushed the explosive into the large wheels of the missile.

The radio that lay atop the missile crackled, 'sending backup your way.'

Slade cursed and doubled his pace, 'what are you doing?' He growled at Oliver, 'help.' He yelled.

Oliver shook his shaggy blond head and fumbled nimbly with the delicate wiring of the missile, he grinned as he pulled a chip from the complex system. 'Or,' he said triumphantly. 'We could just take this.' Oliver held it up and it glinted in the dimming sunlight, upon seeing Slade's confusion he hastily said. 'It's the circuit board,' he thrust a thumb towards the missile that loomed over them. 'It wont function without it.'

Slade grabbed the radio and grinned, 'that is much easier.' Oliver nodded and grasped Laurel's arm. They ran back across the wide expanse of empty land and darted behind the rock. 'Well done kid,' Slade said as he turned the circuit board over in his hands. Laurel glanced at Oliver, a wide smiled had attached itself to his lips. She allowed a soft smile to do the same.  

⚪⚪⚪⚪⚪⚪⚪⚪⚪⚪⚪
Hey,
Yesterday I was talking to a friend and we both agreed that we Lauriver fans need a place to vent. Basically, we need a thread and (as to my knowledge) there wasn't one. So I made one, currently it is just me and two friends so if you need to rant come join us!
The Thread-  https://www.wattpad.com/forums/discussion/1153636/canary-cry-lauriver-fans-unite/#Item_2

As always thanks for reading!
Kaitlyn xx