Chapter 2

2

Grandma's chances of dying of a stroke were nearly impossible. She was only in her mid-fifties, and she had perfect health. No, I had known that something far worse than a stroke had happened to Grandma. She was tougher than nails; always a fighter. I waited for the dead of night until I snuck out of my window. I had done this many times before, but tonight I had to be extra careful. I couldn't risk making asingle noise because I didn't want my mom to hear me. She is normally a heavy sleeper, but I highly doubted she would shut her eyes tonight. I expertly swung my legs over the windowsill. My whole body outside now, I grabbed onto the rain gutter and almost silently dropped onto the pavement below. I was barefoot (so I would make less noise when I hit the ground) and when I landed on my feet, a sharp jolt of pain was shot up through my legs. I only cringed slightly because I had done it many times, but landing still hurt. After all, I was falling from the second story of the house. I sat down on the sidewalk and quickly put on my black Converse Hi-Tops (the best shoes in the world!) and checked my watch. It was 12:19 in the morning. Perfect. Nearly everyone should be asleep.

I wouldn't be able to walk to the hospital, it would take too long. I couldn't drive there either, because my mom would hear me, so that left only one option. I silently opened the garage door and pulled my bike out of the corner. I haven't used the bike in about three years, so its tires were extremely deflated (but good enough for now) and its light blue paint was chipping off. Despite the poor conditions, I hopped onto the seat and started pedaling down the road. While I was riding, my mind was occupied with many thoughts; grandma, my scheme, what would happen if I got caught, and I was worrying about my mother. All in all, the ride seemed to last only a few minutes, even though it was more like 30. There I was, standing in front of the hospital, wondering what the hell I was gonna do next.