Burning Memories

The sky was darker than charcoal, and the heat of the flames dried the tears of the child as soon as they found their way out of his eyes. The scent of burnt flesh lingered in the air and the sounds of his weeping could not be heard over the roar of the flames as they filled his ears, leaping and licking at the village, now destroyed. He walked on weary legs, aching from laying at his mother and fathers burned corpses, searching for any other survivors. He hadn't known what happened, as he was asleep when it started. One moment he dreamed of flowers and meadows, the next he was being carried by his mother out the doors of their home as it went up in flames. Then, she was on the ground, writhing in agony, wailing and screeching as the flames seared her flesh. His father had still been in the house grabbing his little sister when it collapsed. It had all unfolded so quickly, his warm and loving life, ripped from his hands while still a child, barely the age of 6. He could hear nothing but his own screams over the sounds of the fire. Then the world around him seemed to darken, and he heard a voice calling out to him from somewhere, "Will!" the voice said. It was female, "WILL!", he heard it again, "Alina?" He called out to his sister, "Alina. Where are you?!" thinking it might be her, he started scanning the area frantically, "Will, Wake up!" 

      His eyes burst open, and he jolted upright, he surveyed the room around him and realized he'd been dreaming. he looked left and saw Ruby sitting there. She was pretty, and just about his only friend within the orphanage. She had long, wavy red hair, and emerald green eyes. She had high cheekbones that framed her face perfectly, and her skin was so smooth and soft, it could have been made of silk. She was exactly as her name said, a perfectly cut, totally captivating gem. She furrowed her brow and frowned at him, a face that often meant she was about to scold him. "Who's Alina?" She asked, and be fore he could answer she cut him off, "Whatever, it's not important. Just, hurry up and get dressed! It's almost noon, and everyone is waiting for you today. You haven't forgotten about today have you?" Today, yes, today was supposed to be an important day. He was to participate in the village wide race today, and win it for the orphanage so that they could have a large part of this years harvest, "Yeah, I remember, the race is today right? Go let the others know I'll be down in a momen-" He looked up, confused, Ruby had already long since been gone by the time he started to speak. He stood, and wondered if he'd done anything recently to upset her. As he walked, he could feel the cold brush of air against his skin. When he reached his trunk to pull out clothes, he found a strange coin on the floor next to his bunk, and reached down to pick it up. He examined the coin over in his hand and decided to ask Ms. Capernelli about it later, because he hadn't recognized it. Ms. Capernelli was the woman who ran the orphanage, she was as ancient as the sun itself, her skin so wrinkled and saggy she could have been passed been a lizard. She had always been the lady to haunt his dreams, he gray, thin hairs trapping him as she screamed and hissed at him with her pursed, thin lips. Despite how she looked though, and his frequent nightmares about her, she was usually a kindhearted and wise lady, after all, she had taken them all in, and took the time to teach them, so he thought she might know about the coin. As he thought about this, he put on is white shirt and the brown leather trousers, then pulled his rough leather vest over and examined himself in the mirror. He wasn't anything special, hardly above average. He had dull green eyes, rough and calloused skin, with a few blemishes on his face. He had pale white skin, despite being outside most of the time. His lips were often dry and peeled, as he bit the pale pink skin on it far too often. He wasn't particularly muscular, and he was only 5'9'', just above the average height for someone of his age. Nothing about him really stood out, nothing that is, except his hair. His hair was silver, and seemed to shimmer in the sunlight. He'd often been made fun of for it by the other guys, but he was used to being called the human coin, or an object to be traded, but he never paid much attention to it.Instead, he took it as a compliment, telling himself he was something, or someone of value, but he always knew they'd been doing it to mock him, and it made it rather difficult.

     He had been headed for his door when he heard the soft pitter-patter of tiny feet on the floor boards on the other side. Just then, the door burst open, and a young girl, about 9 years of age came bursting in, her blonde hair flowing out behind her, green eyes alight with a playful vengeance. 

(TO BE CONTINUED (when i'm not feeling lazy...))