Chapter 3

The cool, pale blue silk of Eirene's tunic was dusty and stained around the hem by the time she made it back to Rome, despite her best efforts to keep it clean. Her journey back had been pretty uneventful and more comfortable than before, because she had the thought of finding her brother again etched into her thoughts to keep her going. Eirene still felt as though she were gliding on air, buoyed up by her fabulous dress and the knowledge that each weary step would bring her closer and closer to what she had been searching for.

The sun was setting over the city as Eirene was finishing her early evening meal, paid for by the plentiful coins that Petra had pressed into her hands as a parting gesture. She had been back in Rome for almost two days now and had begun scouring the City quarter by quarter, asking around for Germanus as she often had during her night-time escapades.

'Not seen a boy like that,' Flavia said after Eirene had questioned her again for the umpteenth time since she had arrived to rent a room. 'I still think your best bet is to search along the shoreline. Big, strapping lad like the sounds'o him would be hoiking the catches in, thinks me.' Eirene had quickly become accustomed to Flavia's funny speech which was hindered by her lack of two front teeth. Despite the hairy wart that grew on the side of her chin, and her sagging jowls, the blond woman was more approachable than her cold, glacial eyes let on. Flavia wiped Eirene's table down with her dirty rag and leant back, tucking a stray yellowed lock behind her ear and puffed out her cheeks.

'I know finding him is important to you, but you needs to be careful, pretty girl like you.' She bent forwards, her hands resting on her soft, squishy hips that had long since lost their definition, sagging breasts pulling against the blue woollen stola she wore. 'Lots of little places around the coastline, dank dens we's call 'em. Men go there to gamble, whore and drink – in that order. Don't go alone, let my Albanus accomp'ny yous.' The older woman nodded over at the boy who was at that moment spit-polishing a pewter jug.

Albanus was tall, and as thin as Flavia was fat. He had a long, earnest face that was constantly creased with a worry he would never share. His shaggy black hair lay heavy against his thin forehead and his skin was as white as milk. It was hard to believe he was related to Flavia, as he was as opposite to her in looks as night was from day. Eirene thought for a moment about declining the offer, but Flavia's narrow eyes backed up her concern. The girl had yet to explore the darker dens that Rome had to offer, scattered among winding backstreets that snaked off the main coastline, and maybe having someone to tag along might be a help.

'That would be great, thank you,' Eirene smiled.

'Your master though, does he know where you are?' Flavia crossed her meaty forearms across her enormous bosom. 'Don't want no troubles here, we's a somewhat honest establishment.'

'It's complicated... but, nothing will come back on you, please don't worry. It was my master's sister that gave me this coin,' she smiled again and slid a gold coin across the table to the woman, who eyed it contemplatively for a moment, glancing between Eirene and the coin before she scooped it up in a flash and winked at the girl.

'Albanus!' Flavia bellowed, turning to the boy as she strode across the room. 'Take this little'un wherever she asks. Guard her with your life, my boy.'

Albanus, a year or two younger than Eirene, though he towered his lean frame above her, pouted a little and set the jug down. He turned from the counter top and slouched out of the inn without even a backward glance to see if the girl was following him.

'Hey,' Eirene tugged his sleeve when she finally managed to catch up with him. 'I'm Eirene. I'm looking for my brother, Germanus.' Up close, Eirene could only think about how long and thick Albanus's eyelashes were, before she noticed the cold, hard look he gave her. She let go of his robe quite quickly.