Chapter 29

CHAPTER 29

If a two hundred and eighty pound Species male was struck by his mating drive, no power on earth could stop him from latching on to his target.

Seriously, Rook? No power on earth?

Well, a bullet to the head might do the trick— but you better be ready to pull that trigger.

Perhaps if Paige hadn't rolled her eyes during that particular lesson and dismissed the feline's cavalier response, she could've anticipated a more strategic way to diffuse her current predicament.  She reasoned if the building somehow caught on fire at this very moment while trapped beneath the aforementioned male, she hoped he'd have the presence of mind to evacuate the premises. Likely, he'd still be kissing her senseless while he jumped from the third floor to safety, but at the very least they wouldn't be burned alive.

Of course, this was the least of her worries.

Paige had certainly been on the receiving end of Shield's affections before, but during their courtship she'd always felt a modicum of control from his endeavors. A sliver of restraint, which in the heat of passion had served to keep him in check when Paige wasn't quite ready to cross the boundaries she'd erected while in a bedroom setting.

But now?

Like stepping into a rollercoaster, she had little choice but to hold on for dear life until either the ride was over or it careened off the rails into certain oblivion.

"E-easy, big guy," Paige whispered, arching her neck back to separate their lips. With his groin pressing against her core, while his hands kneaded the curve of her backside, it was a wonder she could form a coherent sentence at all. "You're not thinking straight, okay? Let's talk about this."

Undeterred, the male ignored her request and honed in on her exposed neckline, trailing fervent kisses down the column of her sensitive flesh until one of his fangs caught the top button of her nightshirt.

Paige tucked in her chin and glared. "Don't you dare."

Shield narrowed his eyes back at her, and snapped the button off without hesitation.

Then, he proceeded to remove the one below it.

Paige squirmed and pushed against his shoulders, though her efforts were wasted on the insufferable behemoth; he'd caged her beneath his surmountable bulk as he often did, which meant she wasn't going anywhere until he was good and ready.

In which case, she was in serious trouble.

Once the third button was gone, the male burrow his nose between the parted fabric. He inhaled slowly, then pushed it to the side to expose her breasts. He licked his lips, his eyes riveted to the rise and fall of each feminine globe, before he lowered his lips to the valley between them and feathered a chaste kiss over her heart.

"Every night, I hear in my dreams the moment this stopped beating—" Shield turned his head, caressing his cheek against her skin. "—but when I wake with you beside me, the sound of your heartbeat filling the silence, it chases the memory away."

Paige threaded her fingers in his hair, her heart breaking at hearing the raw pain in his voice. "Big guy—"

"Ten days ago I almost lost you," Shield growled, lifting his gaze back to hers. "I will not lose you again."

"I'm not—"

But her breath caught when the male latched his mouth over her left breast, his canines grazing the skin each time his tongue flicked over her puckered nipple. Paige gasped and arched her back, unable to suppress a moan. She felt his warm, calloused hand grip her waist while the other maneuvered south to stroke her core through the lace fabric of her underwear. She felt him separate his warmth from her, heard the sound of fabric being shred, and when he pressed himself once more against her she knew Shield had discarded his sweatpants.  Between both sensations, and his steely determination to claim her once and for all, her uncertainty fled and only desire remained.