Chapter 12

I only had one meeting that week, a potential new client. I had Graciela postpone it in case anything happened. Saskia's bad feeling was rubbing off on me. I started to feel like I was being watched when I went grocery shopping.

Remembering what happened last time I felt like that, I called Chris. He was in a meeting but had Shaya come and meet me at my apartment.

'You're right, you are being followed. See that man over there, wearing the long coat and sunglasses, very inconspicuous, not! He came along behind you and has been waiting there ever since you came in. I called Ron and he's sending Oli over to sniff the guy out. Literally as well as figuratively,' she flashed a smile my way, making me relax a little. Just knowing one of the pack was coming made me feel safer. Having Shaya there made me feel even better.

I still didn't know the names of all the pack members yet, which was pretty bad. However, several of them had been out of town. Now all twenty of them were back, in case another stand-off occurred.

The man across the street didn't move until Oli made a point of staring at him, after he had taken in as much information about him as he could, including his scent. The man moved away a little, but still had a view of the front door of the building. It unnerved me more than a little.

Chris arrived a few hours later, having finished his business.

'I'm sorry I couldn't get here sooner, because of my absence a lot of things had changed which shouldn't have. Alex had new suppliers and there was a lot of underhand business going on that needed stopped. I'd put it off long enough. Oli told me the guy down there is magical, possibly a witch or fae of some sort. Not a Were but he certainly has magic. He didn't look or feel particularly strong. Apparently he vanished the moment my car came along, which means he knows who I am.' Chris hugged me close. I leaned into him, taking in his scent and warmth. He really was the most wonderful man I had ever met. He felt like home.

We all left via the back door, going to the warehouse. I spent the night there with Chris, enjoying his company.

I had to go to the office the following day to look up a report another regular client had sent through. The company just wanted me to have the information in advance of the meeting, which was set for the following week.

On the way back I felt a shiver travel down my spine a moment before someone yanked my arm and a cloth was shoved in my face. I passed out after that.

The next thing I was aware of was being in a well lit room with a man in a well tailored suit. My head was very fuzzy and I felt terrible, on the verge of throwing up but not quite able to. It felt like everything was moving through syrup and my insides felt like they were being pulled apart.

A man in a suit sat observing me for a few moments, at least I think it was moments, time seemed such a foreign concept.

'Ms Anderson, I presume?'

'How very Bond villain of you, Edvard, or should I call you Mr Smith?' I scraped the words out. My tongue felt spongy and dry. 'What did you give me?'

'Just a little cocktail to ensure you can't use any of your powers until I need them. I'm running out of time to retrieve what I'm looking for.'

'I won't help you find the tablet.'

'So you know what I'm looking for?' His voice had taken on a harder edge. His accent was unusual. Definitely European but it changed several times. I guessed that he had travelled a fair bit.

'We know much more than you realise. You will never get your hands on it,' I managed to raise my chin. My whole body seemed to weigh so much, as though I was physically weighed down. I tried to use my magic and pain engulfed me. My head felt like it was ripping apart from the inside.