Chapter 19

Tired. So tired.

I know that I'd only been walking for thirty minutes, but it felt like I had been walking for hours. The heat from the blazing sun was unbearable, the harsh sunlight shining in my eyes, blinding me. I narrowed my eyes in a vain attempt to escape the blinding light from the sun, beads of sweat leaving trails down my face. Every breath I took was shallow and ragged, the unforgiving heat seeming to be sucking the oxygen out of the air.

So tired.

Our progress had been slow; it had taken twenty minutes alone just to get out of the hospital. Bobby was barely conscious, mumbling some encouragement to me to continue on; the walk out of the hospital had been taxing on him. The wound in my shoulder was burning like somebody was holding a hot iron to my skin. I could feel my blood slowly flowing freely out of the wound and mixing with Bobby's blood, which was soaking into my shirt.

So tired.

I turned my head to take a look behind us. I don't exactly remember when they started to tail us, but the four zombies were just following us, stumbling along. I honestly don't know how we managed to stay ahead of the zombies; I honestly felt like one myself, stumbling and barely standing upright.

Come on, Evan, a voice in my head said, pushing me on, put one foot in front of the other. Don't give up. You got to get Bobby home.

I looked back at Bobby. His eyes were closed and his face was extremely pale. It looked like he was having a hard time breathing and sweat bathed his face.

Put one foot in front of the other. Now the other one.

Another step. Don't give up.

You got to get Bobby home.

------------------

Haley's POV

I know I shouldn't have been, but for some reason I was extremely nervous about Bobby going with Vanoss on a supply run. I wasn't exactly comfortable with him going with him alone, especially after I dropped the news about my friend on Vanoss. Even after almost a month of combining our groups, I still didn't fully trust him, especially with the life of my boyfriend.

I didn't realize that I was pacing around the lobby until Sam stopped me. "Hey, calm down, will ya?" Sam said, exasperated, "You've been worrying all morning about Bobby and Vanoss."

I sighed, running my hands down my face. "I'm sorry," I apologized, "it's just that I don't want anything to go wrong, you know? I mean, this is Bobby first supply run with Vanoss and I don't know how well he does his work." I started to pace again.

Kat, who was standing behind the front desk, leaned forward on her arms. She chimed in, "Oh, stop fretting. I'm sure that Vanoss and Bobby can take care of themselves." She gave me a small smile. "They're big boys now."

I frowned, crossing my arms. "It's not just Vanoss and Bobby's abilities that I'm worried about. I just that I don't really trust him," I responded, emphasizing on 'him.'

"Well," a voice spoke up behind me, "there's no one else I would trust more with my life."

I whirled around, startled, and found Terroriser standing there with his arms crossed. He wore a stern expression, his lips in a tight line and his eyes alight with anger. Moo stood next to him, wearing the same expression while he was glaring at me.