Drawing The Heart

I was laying against the scratchy carpet in the living room, as Nate shuffled cards on a small coffee table next to me. He’s been my friend for as long as I could remember. My house was a one flat with three bedrooms. Only my mother and I lived together since my father chose to take a new wife last year. Things have been hard on my mom, but just as bad on me. My dad was like a best friend, but now, not so much.

            “Mitchie sit up so we can play.” Nate pushes a card off the table causing it to fall against my nose.

            “Ugh, fine.” I sit up, grabbing what the boy has dealt out before raising a eyebrow. “You better not had been cheating.”       

            “Why would I do that?”

            “Nate, I know you remember.” I tell the boy as he nods.

            “Right, I forgot.”

            “Sure you did.” I reshuffle the cards, sliding different ones in front of me before we began our game. Its near midnight, the moon is barley out, and the only light in the house was where we were.

            “Your house gives me the creeps.” Nate pipes up.

            “I know, its kinda old.”

            “Uh, ancient if you ask me.”

            “But no one asked you.” I toss out a card before grabbing another one.

            “So do you need someone to stay the night with you or something?”

            “No. My mom should be in by one.” I was almost always right about my mom’s awkward hours at the hospital. We never had time to spend together anymore since she had to take on more hours since my dad left.

            “I didn’t mean I would stay.” The boy reminded me.

            “Oh.” I smirked pulling a card from his hand. “Well you didn’t have an invitation.”

            “Ouch.” A bright light bounced off the window and lingered on the wall before a car door slammed. “Expecting someone?”

            “No.” I stand up, taking my cards with me before heading to the front door. A knock comes before the bell chimes. I face Nate, “hey, you come answer it.”

            “But its your house.”

            “Come on.” I whisper to the boy as he drags his feet before he moves over. I watch as he turns the lock.

            “Who is…,” the words barley came out of his mouth when he was pushed aside.

            “Who else would it be?” Alex snapped as I faced her.

            “You idiot, you scared the crap out of us.” I playfully hit the girl’s arm as Shane filed in behind her.

            “Us?” Nate asks.

            “Sorry Mitchie, Shane here was running late.” Alex pointed to the scruffy looking boy, who was pushing his hair down constantly with his hands.

            “She pulled me out of the shower, literally.” Shane shook his head as his curls spread apart. I bit my bottom lip to hold back from the laughter.

            “Okay so now that we’re all here, we can play cards until Connie comes home.” Nate went back to the table to start a new game as Shane followed him.