Chapter-31

"Where the hell is the bride?!"

"Why on earth is she not ready?!"

"We have a delayed bride situation!"

"Kelly, get out now! It's getting late! KELLY!"

"Goodness, people!" Kelly exclaimed, flinging open the door to her bedroom. The action caused Katie to trip forward, her hand still in contact with the door where she had been tapping incessantly while everybody was yelling outside. Speaking of everybody, while Katie caught her balance with the help of the doorframe, Lisa and her mother stopped running around the corridor to look at her. Lucy, standing in the doorway diagonally opposite to Kelly's, had been watching the whole episode unfold with amused eyes, but she too now was looking at her older sister. Kelly stepped out into the hallway, pulled the door shut behind her, the noise echoing off the walls, and glared from one to the other of the three shouting culprits. She was dripping wet from head to toe and her bathrobe was sticking to her skin, irritating her more.

"Could a bride not finish a shower in peace? For God's sake, what's the rush?!" she demanded in a stern voice. Lisa and Amelia pointedly turned to stare at Katie, who in turn nodded at the wall clock at the end of the hallway.

"It's already 10.30, Pig. We had to be at the venue an hour before that," she accused blatantly.

Kelly groaned and buried her face in her palms to recollect her senses before she looked up and said calmly, "That clock has been stuck on that time since the last fifteen days." As the three loud ones took in the fact of the matter, what with the seconds hand not budging at all, Kelly yelled out, "It's only half past eight, you morons! Go check your phones and wrist watches and any other wall clocks we may have! Turn on the news, for crying out loud, if you need the correct time, but LET ME HAVE MY SHOWER IN PEACE!"

With that, she disappeared into her room, slamming the door once again.

"She is unusually sensitive today," Lucy observed after all the noise had settled down.

"Hear, hear," Lisa mumbled, turning on her heels and heading down the stairs. "Ma, breakfast!" she called over her shoulder.

"In a minute, sweetie," Amelia replied, following her downstairs. Katie beckoned Lucy to join them all in the kitchen and prattled off her desired menu for the breakfast while descending the stairs.

Allison was already present at the venue and was ordering the staff to get the decorations right. Carl stood to one corner of the open area, Duke asleep against his chest, as a silent observer because he knew better than to interrupt his wife at her best friend's wedding preparations. He greeted the Sloane family first as they tumbled out of the only car they owned.

"Oh, Brett, how could you forget to bring the car from repairs?" Katie could be heard complaining while the other sisters and family members stretched out their muscles. Brett did not have the privilege to do so under his wife's glower and baby Ruth's struggle in his arms to go to her mother.

"I see Al dragged you out early in the morning, Carrie," Kelly remarked as he walked to her with a broad smile and she leaned in to give him a quick hug without ruffling the asleep baby's invisible feathers.

"I'm surprised she even slept last night! I had a feeling she would set up camp here after dinner yesterday," he replied with a wink. Kelly laughed and held out her arms. Carl promptly passed Duke to her and even as she adjusted his head over her shoulder, he did not stir from his slumber.

Carl helped unload the boot of the car as some of the more nervous staff members joined him if only to escape the tyrannous rule of Allison.

"Keep it straight! Straight means not bent, or is that something they no longer teach in schools?" Allison barked and Kelly did not bother to look at the poor soul receiving the scolding. If Allison wanted it done one way, it had to be that way, no questions asked.