X. The Girl

I bounced around the front porch of my house on the balls of my feet.  I could feel the butterflies in my stomach spreading throughout my body and the anxiety gnawing at my chest.  It had been a week since I had seen the boys and Jack, and chadmittedly, I missed them.  They were really starting to grow on me and I wanted to hang out with them more.  But tonight I wasn't looking forward to.  A few days ago, Jack invited me to go to a party with them.  I, at first, completely rejected the idea.  I hated parties, I can't stand them, but after much convincing from both Jack and Alex, I agreed.  But I wasn't looking forward to it.

"He's still not here?" Jess asked, walking onto the front porch next to me.

I looked out into the dark street before glancing down at my phone: 7:10 pm.  "No, he was supposed to be here ten minutes ago."  I sighed, rolling my shoulders and trying to get rid of some of my butterflies.

"Still not a fan of parties?" Jess laughed, watching my routine.

"No," I shook my head, "I still hate them.  I'm surprised you're not going, considering you love parties so much."

"Someone has got to watch the girls."  She shrugged.

I looked over at her, smiling.  She used to never put our family before parties, but now she's starting to change.  I didn't have to say anything to Jess, my smile showed how proud of her I was right now.

As I was about to say something, a car sped down our road and pulled into our driveway, honking like an idiot.  "Come on, Maxie, let's party!"  Jack yelled from the car window, laughing.

I shook my head, looking over at Jess.  "I'll be home...I don't know when.  I have my phone, text me if anything goes wrong with the girls."

Jess pulled me into a hug.  "Be careful, and do not let him drink and drive."

***

"Come on, Maxie, get excited!" Jack playfully poked me as we pulled into a field packed with cars.  It was in the middle of no where, right next to one of the biggest houses I have ever seen.

"I told you and the guys before, partying isn't really my thing," I murmured, sinking into my seat.

"Aw, Maxie," Jack said as he parked the car.  He pulled me into a hug.  "Don't sweat it, even if I get dragged away or something you always have Rian, Alex, and Zack.  I made them promise that at least one of us would be by your side the entire time."

I relaxed a little at that.  "Okay."

We both hopped out of the car and walked up towards the house.  Jack had his arm around my shoulders, keeping my close since he could still tell I was freaked out. 

"Okay, party bud, let's do it!" he laughed as he opened the front door.  It felt like the same scene as the last party I went to was.  Music blasting, drinks everywhere, and especially people in every corner.

Jack let his arm fall from my shoulders and grabbed my hand instead, helping me weave in and out of the people with him.  He was lucky to be so tall, if it wasn't for him, I would have no idea where I was going in this sea of people.