Prologue

[Prologue]

*Poppy*

October 8, 2006

I sit in the car beside my mom, holding my knees to my chest as I watch her. Her forehead is wrinkled with worried and stressed lines as she speaks animatedly on the phone. I close my eyes and take a deep breath, listening to her words as they wash over me.

"Jim, she wants to spend another night with me. Can't you just allow her one more night? I can drop her off at school in the morning." 

Tears well in my eyes. I already know the answer that my father is filling in her ear. I already know that within the next few minutes, I will be telling my mother goodbye, again. My heart squeezes tight as I shake my head to myself.

I don't want this.

I can't do this anymore. Every goodbye is harder. More painful. 

My parents got divorced a few years ago, it was a peaceful divorce. However, my father has taken up some sort of possessive hold on me. He has a set schedule of when I am allowed to see my mother, and when I am not. I have tried to alter it, even in the slightest, and he immediately shuts down my idea. 

I love my dad, I really do. But my mom is my best friend and the limited time we have together is not enough. 

Why am I not allowed to see her whenever I want? I am twelve years old, surely I am able to make this decision on my own.

"Jim, you're breaking her heart." At the soft, scolding tone of my mother's voice, I allow myself to cry. 

My father has given the answer, and it is to be followed. 

My dad has majority custody over me, and if he feels custody regulation is being broken, he can call the cops and revoke seeing rights from my mom.

Will he ever do this? I honestly don't know. But I also don't want to give him the opportunity.

I hear the beep of the phone, signally that the call has ended. Looking up at my mom, I bite my bottom lip as her deep hazel eyes fill with tears. "It's going to be alright, sweetie." My mom reaches over to tuck a piece of hair behind my ear.

I nod my head, leaning into her touch as if it were instinct. My mom lets out a sigh before she starts up the car and begins driving me back to my father's house.

I sit in the passenger seat, dreading every second of the drive. As we grow closer, my chest begins to grow more heavy. The one thing I hate about my mom living so close: the short drive back to my dad's house.

Tears fall more freely now, as we pull into the driveway.

"I love you, Pop. You need to be strong. Soon, just six more years, and you will be mine. You will be with me." My mom whispers, her voice cracking.

That is all we ever look forward to, the six more years until I am with her. Being with my mom, without worrying about regulations, is all I care about. All she cares about. 

It's what gets me through the days. The sleepless nights. The girls that pick on me. The boys that push me.

"I love you, Mom." I wrap my arms around her neck, squeezing as tight as I can. My mom runs her hand through my hair, softly touching the ends before she places a kiss to my cheek.

"Now get inside. You're already five minutes late." I gaze at the clock. 

5:05. I was supposed to be inside the house at exactly five o'clock. 

Gathering my over-the-night bag I used for this past weekend, I hug my mom one last time before I walk up to my house, each step a stab into the heart as I carry myself away from my mom.

I turn to wave at my mom, a tradition,  a silent 'everything is okay'.

I know my mom will get out of the car, storm the house and give my father a piece of her mind, if I didn't wave. She would risk all regulation, all rights to see me, just to ensure that I felt safe in my own home. 

My mom is so strong. 

So beautiful.

I watch as she drives off, her car going a sluggish pace, before I open the front door. My dad is standing by the staircase, arms crossed over his chest. He is a large man, tall and bulky. His milky brown hair sits wavy on the top of his head as his blue eyes stare down at me in intimidation. 

I sulk at the sight of him, silently ashamed of my weakness that caused me to be late. 

"How was your weekend?" He asks, grabbing my bag from my hand. 

"It was fine." I mumble my rehearsed answer. My dad nods his head and sets the bag on the stairs. 

My dad motions for me to join him in the kitchen and I slowly follow his lead, sitting at one of the chairs. We sit across from each other and the look of uneasiness washes over his face. 

"I have some news." My stomach churns at his tone. He knows I'm not going to like it. Therefore, I already do not like it. 

I shrink into my seat, bowing my head as I await to impending news. What could be so bad? He already refuses to let me see my own mother. 

"Diane and I are getting married." Lifting my head, my eyes widen at his words.

Diane?! I never even met the woman. 

My father has been on many outings with her, which meant my uncle had to drive over to 'babysit' me. 

No, I wasn't even allowed to see my mother then. Even when my father was off flirting with this other woman, I wasn't allowed to see my mom. I had to sit beside my uncle, watching Fox News.

"I know this is hard to grasp. But she has a daughter; she's a year younger than you. You guys will grow up together, become best friends. I promise. Diane will be your mother, when you are not with your own." My blood boils over at the thought.

No one will replace my mother. 

I jump to my feet, causing my chair to topple in the process. I glare at my dad, not knowing what to say or how to react. I am hurt, angry, betrayed. 

I shake my head, turning to storm up the stairs. As I cross the front door, I hear the doorbell ring. Looking over my shoulder, I see my father frown. 

Please, tell me it is no that woman.

I grab the doorknob and swing the door open, ready to give the woman a piece of my mind, just like my mother would. 

My real mother.

Instead of a woman standing before me, there was a man. I arch an eyebrow and look down at the uniform he is wearing. My heart skips a beat as I take a step back, my throat closing again. 

"Mr. Evans? Hi, I am Deputy Gonzalez. There has been an accident concerning your ex-wife."

My head becomes fuzzy and light at the officer and my father grow blurry before me. Before I can react to what the deputy said, I feel my body fall as everything grows dark around me.