The Immortality Plot - chapter 4

BRUSSELS

The tall, skeletal man was standing exactly in the center of Grand Place. He had calculated the distance from one end to the other by walking its entire length in carefully measured footsteps and then returning to the centre point. From his elevated position he had a clear view of the market square. Evening lights flickered into life under an overcast sky and the beautiful world heritage buildings – a mixture of gothic, baroque and Louis the fourteenth – glowed in the increasing intensity of a soft amber light.

It was a magical place but Claude Rattin was unaffected by such beauty. When a chattering Japanese tourist held out a small, digital camera and indicated in signs that Rattin oblige a nearby troop of visitors, goggling at the sights, Rattin glared. It was enough to send the little Japanese scuttling back to his friends.

“Are you completely unmoved by your surroundings, Claude?” a soft voice spoke behind him.

Allowing his lips to stretch into a smile of welcome, Rattin turned to see an elegantly dressed man standing before him.

“You choose some exotic locations for our meetings, Herman,” Rattin replied.

“I do my best, kamaräd, to improve your appreciation of the finer things of life. And, besides, it is never wise to meet in the same place twice – not for the matters we have to discuss.”

Herman Letski glanced around him. “It is wonderful here, don’t you think?”

“I imagine you are right, Herman,” said Rattin. “Are we going to discuss things out in the open?”

“I’ve booked a table at Maxim’s, but we can talk about one or two matters right here. There is a certain anonymity in the centre of a crowd.”

“The last assignment went well. I hope you are pleased,” said Rattin.

Letski remained silent, framing his thoughts. Then. “Yes, and I have new assignments for you here,” he indicated a small valise in his left hand.

“I thought you might be angry because he has started to attract attention,” Rattin ventured.

“And for the first time, Claude, for the first time. However, we are using someone who is a perfectionist – someone truly unique. I do not think enquiring eyes or Internet amateurs will ever do more that chatter online like parrots.”

“Nothing can lead back to us then?” enquired Rattin.

“Nothing will ever lead back to me,” Letski told him with a touch of steel in his soft voice.

Rattin started to reply but thought better of it.

Letski continued. “I have absolute faith in our assassin. And I think I understand why he has recently decided to make his work public.”

“It is a message,” said Rattin.

“Oh yes,” replied Letski. “I understand that very well. I will be seeing him soon in New York. I will assess the situation then.”

“You have made him promises,” stated Rattin.

“Of course. I make everyone promises.”

“You only have to say the word.”

“I know,” said Letski. “And that word may yet come. For now, let us enjoy the best that Maxim’s can offer.”

With shadows lengthening in Grand Place and the market square erupting with evening revelers, the two men made their way across the cobblestones and faded into the night.

Buy complete book:

http://www.davidcallinan.com/Thrillers/Books/immortality-plot