The Wishing Star

There were once hermits on a mountain that sat in meditation. Near the bottom of the mountain, the youngest one, Lee, had been living a solitary life of humility and peace. A donkey, his only friend and transport to the Temple, grazed on a patch of alfalfa a few yards off. A hut sat on level ground behind him. The trees grew straight up towards the sky. It was evening now, and the time for prayer was at hand.

Lee had trouble concentrating; still shaking off the unruly phase of childhood that wanted so badly for him to hop up and run around. He fidgeted on his prayer mat. The boy glanced up at the twilit-sky, trying to count out the stars to get his mind focused on calmness, so he can bring his thoughts out of the world again. But he did not see any.

Just as Lee realized this, he reminded himself of a rhyme his mother used to say. A little ditty asking the star for a wish. It was to be said only when one saw the first star of the nights sky— he had not yet gotten the opportunity, and he had heard no one that did whoever saw it, come true, but once the young hermit saw the slightest hint of twinkle, he indulged just one more childhood fantasy by reciting the poem.

"Star light, star bright, the first star I see tonight. I wish I may, I wish I might, grant this wish I wish tonight...that you come down..." It made him smile. Such a silly wish; to want to keep a star. Wouldn't his father, if he were alive, think him fantastical?

Lee might have just gone back to humming in meditation, when the unexpected occurred. The light brightened, it brightened far brighter than he had ever seen a star shine. The young hermit fixed his eyes on the star in wonderment. This was certainly something he'd like to mention to the others, but knew that he couldn't. They'd think it was diverting from the path of tranquility. Just as Lee might have finally closed his eyes and tapped into his inner calm, the light grew so strong, it lit up his face, the trees, the ground, and the whole area, so quickly, he threw his hands up in fear that it would fall on him. When all Lee felt was a whoosh of wind, he slowly opened his eyes and saw a tiny, eight-petaled, jewel. The light not so bright, but still luminous. It landed gently onto his hand.

In complete surprise, the boy just stared at the star; it could only be the star, as he did not see it in the sky when he glanced back up to check. Lee could no longer sit and meditate. He stood up, unsure of what to do. Lee's life as a hermit meant no desire for worldly wealth, fame, or materials. What would this star have to do with him? Had he really been the first and only boy to make a successful wish on the first star in the nights sky?

To test it, Lee said aloud, "Star, I wi—" the star glowed, startling the boy a moment. Recovering, the boy gulped and continued, "—I wish that my sandals be fixed..." Suddenly, on his feet, Lee felt his strings tighten, the worn toes perk up, and the end of the sandal reach the edge of his heel. A delight filled him, as well as a thrill of apprehension. "Star, I wish to have a well of never-ending crystal clean water!" And so it was. Lee dipped his hand into it, drinking its sweetness. Laughing, he danced around, "Star! I wish that my hut never be too cold or too hot!" Lee went into it, and felt the snug temperature. "Star, grant that any food I eat, it tastes like—" He paused, not being able to decide. "—that it tastes great!" Lee picked up his old flat bread, and biting into it, felt tears of joy come to his eyes for the delicious flavor. "Star—" he said, through the mouthful of bread, "—grant that—" suddenly there was a frightened hee-haw, the thundering of hoofs, and the hut burst. The head of a panicked donkey was stuck through the straw wall. The donkey hee-hawed again in distress.

"No! My hut!" Lee huffed angrily. "What are you doing?" he pushed the donkey out, and surveyed the land. There was no danger in sight. Perhaps his donkey was only spooked by something. Mad at the donkey, Lee turned around to shoo him away, and then said, "Star, I wish that my hut be fixed!" The hut was restored, but Lee was in for another irritation when he turned around and was shocked to see the donkey eating his last bread. "Ugh! I wish you'd just disappear!" Lee clenched the star in his hand. Once the donkey vanished, the boy felt a deep sadness. "I—I wish my donkey back!" Lee said quickly.