Uncle Bradford O'Brian

"These are beautiful, aren't they, Nick?"

Nicholas nodded unaware of Mary's admiration of certain flower arrangements she wanted for their wedding. He couldn't stop thinking about Olivia. And he hadn't stopped thinking about her in the twenty four hours since their warm embrace in the hen house. He wondered what she was doing. Mary said she was preoccupied with her Spanish tutor who was testing her pupils all day. He wondered how she was doing in those exams. He smiled to himself, she was probably doing great; she was probably the best student in the class. Her Spanish was impeccable, if he said so himself.

"Nick? Hello?" He looked up at a flustered Mary. "Are you listening to anything that I'm saying?"

"Why yes, you want flowers."

"Of course I want flowers, which is why we're in the flower shop. What's the matter?"

"Nothing is the matter."

"Really? You seem like you are miles away from here."

Nicholas shrugged. How could he tell her he was thinking of her sister? He simply couldn't. "Right, I apologize. I'm a bit distracted."

"Is it because the wedding is two weeks away?"

Nicholas blinked in surprise. Two weeks already? Where was time going?

"You still haven't given me a list of the guests you wish to invite," Mary said as she saw he was not going to reply.

"Oh, right. I supposed it skipped my mind." Truth was, Nicholas was really having doubts now. Was it cold feet? Was it regret for agreeing to it in the first place just to satisfy General Clark? Or perhaps it was the fact that whenever he had a second for his mind to wonder, it always wondered to Olivia Clark?

"You need to give me the list if you want anyone sitting on your side of the church. By the way, have you spoken to Pastor Andrews?"

"Yes I have, earlier today," he replied confidently, even though their talk took place at the tailor's where General Clark took him to get his suit for the wedding. And Pastor Andrews was there to pick out some shoes. Nicholas apologized for his behavior and told him he'd be delighted to be married by such a man of God. Pastor Andrews smiled with the compliment, they shook hands then parted ways. All the talk about God he avoided because he was no longer convinced God was such a bad God after all. God sent him a human being so close to perfection like Olivia Clark, there was no way Nicholas could keep having such unsettling doubts.

"Oh I'm so proud of you!" Mary replied happily as she squeezed his arm. Nicholas simply smiled. "Come, we must now go cake tasting. There's an adorable little shop around the corner," Mary explained as they made their way outside. "It's quite new but the cakes look beautiful."

Nicholas nodded again. "Great, I love cake," he said trying to distract himself from thinking about Olivia. It was disrespectful to Mary and he felt very guilty about it.

"So, I asked the owner of the cake shop if she had time to spare for our wedding cake, since its such short notice. Is that...?" Mary stopped short and looked across the street, Nicholas couldn't tell what she was looking at. Until she lets out a cheery laugh and crosses the street towards a tall thin man.

"Uncle Bradford?"

The man turned and eyed Mary as if he didn't know who she was.

"It's me, Mary," she explained.

The man's face brightened in recognition. "Mary! Last time I saw you, you were fifteen years old! You have grown into such a beautiful young woman. Is your sister with you?"

"No, she isn't. But let me introduce you to my fiancée."

Bradford's blue eyes met his, then followed his scar, but recovered rapidly as he gave him a hearty handshake. "Well yes, you must be the lucky man, Nicholas Gregson, correct?"

"Nick, this is my Uncle Bradford O'Brian. He's my mother's youngest brother and the only living relative we have from my mother's side," she added in a whisper.

"A pleasure to meet you," Nicholas replied.

"Pleasure is all mine, and may I add I thank you for your service." Nicholas nodded. "When I got the wedding invitation I couldn't believe my eyes, my Mary getting married, time goes flying." Bradford continued lovingly. Mary smiled at him, and Nicholas could tell they were very close, even though the last time he saw her was seven years ago. He wondered if the only reason she acted so amicable with her uncle was because it connected her to her mother.

"Were you on your way to the farm?" she asked gleefully as if it was an honor to have him in her father's house.

"Yes, the trip was long and tedious, I needed to stretch my legs."

"Great," she said enthusiastically. "We were in our way home as well."

Nicholas blinked at the sudden change of plans but shrugged it off, realizing his heart wasn't even in it.

"How's Olivia? I do so wish to see her," he heard Bradford ask as him and Mary start their way back to the farm, her arm looped around his. Nicholas followed close behind not bothered at all by the fact that he was being ignored.

The quiet farm welcomed Bradford, he seemed genuinely happy to be back after such a long time. Bradford rented a carriage, which brought them back to the farm effortlessly as if the coachman knew exactly where their house was. Bradford did nothing but compliment Mary about her beauty. So much so that it made Nicholas uncomfortable, it almost felt as if he was flirting with her. Nicholas couldn't help but hold her hand in a possessive, protective way. Bradford was a man twice her age, almost General Clark's age, and he didn't seem to differentiate the way to speak to a young beautiful woman, and to a young beautiful woman who was also his niece. There were boundaries, and Nicholas felt like he was infringing them.

"Ah, such an adorable little house, isn't it Nicholas?" Bradford said as they entered the house, no one went out to welcome them. Bradford rubbed his hands together. "Now, where is my Olivia?"

Mary walked around opening doors looking for a sign of life. "No one is home. I think she went out with father."

"Ah, how is old Scott? I heard about his amputation. Terrible."

Nicholas nodded noticing how he had failed to remember his dead sister's husband until now.

In that moment, distant talking from outside grabbed their attention. Mary opened the door and welcomed his father, in his wheelchair and Olivia assisting him. Behind them, were Nicholas's mother and sisters.

"Bradford!" General Clark exclaimed genuinely pleased. "I'm so happy to see you!" Bradford smiled and leaned to give General Clark an embrace. Olivia stood tacitly behind him and seemed to be in shock.

"Ah!" Bradford sighed. "My Olivia, as beautiful as always." He tried to embrace her as well but she stepped back quickly.

"Welcome Uncle Bradford, how nice of you to join us," she said a bit distantly. Perhaps Olivia wasn't as close to her uncle like Mary seemed to be. "I must go see how dinner is getting on." She attempted a smile but the anguish in her eyes gave her away. It left Nicholas disconcerted.

"Will you be staying with us, Uncle Bradford?" asked Mary after she finished introducing Nicholas' family.

Bradford gave her a nod. "If it's not too much of a bother."

"None sense!" exclaimed General Clark. "I am afraid, though, that one of you will have to share a room."

"Oh, I can do that," replied Mrs. Gregson right away. "I do miss seeing my babies."

Jane and Josie smile in embarrassment, Nicholas thought it very sweet.

"Then it is settled, you will accompany us these next couple of weeks in preparation for the big wedding."

"It's hardly big," replied Mary.

The conversation in the drawing room continued as everyone gave their account of their involvement in the planning. Everyone except Nicholas. Who kept wishing for Olivia to leave the kitchen and return to them. He had to admit he wanted to see her, almost as if he had missed her.