Chapter Sixteen | Complications

The night was young, the doors were officially open for the first time and already the place was bustling with life spilling from the lounge into the dining room. Wait staff in black, carting trays laden with drinks, or food, or both, whirled on by with all the grace and elegant poise of dancers working a stage, gliding in and out to some unheard melody, finding a rhythm and meeting a demanded pace he could only admired.

Browsing the menu, offerings ranged from butter-braised lobster and a decadent wagyu burger, to roasted duck and hand-made pastas. The extensive wine list, he noted with appreciation, expertly matched the tone of the menu, carefully selected to compliment any meal or occasion. And for those who preferred the casual intimacy of the lounge and bar offered a variety of delicious, contemporary creations to please even the most discerning of palettes.

He saw her, standing by a table of women, smiling and laughing, in a chef's jacket of brilliant white. Sipping on rye and ginger, he took advantage of a moment to just sit, admire and enjoy the shapes and angles of her face.

Then, with all the canniness of a feline, sensing his gaze, her eyes shifted, found his. Well, he mused, no sense in pretending he wasn't enjoying the view, so he kept his attention trained on her and raised his glass with a smile.

She spent another couple of minutes doting on the table before she excused herself to swing over towards him.

"Hello," she smiled, leaning against the bar.

"Hello," he echoed. "First night in business and you're rammed. You must be thrilled and exhausted already."

"I am," she laughed, "and thankful I had the foresight to curb our hours from Thursday to Monday for the first few weeks while we find our feet before the Sphinx's September launch."

"A stroke of genius," he agreed with a nod. "Most wouldn't have been able to look past the loss of revenue to see the logic behind the plan. And as a result, would have found themselves, likely overwhelmed and overworked before the end of their first month."

"That was my rational." Taking a moment to enjoy herself and the casual conversation before she had to rush back into the kitchen for the heat of the next dinner rush, she leaned against the bar, smiled. "This is a pleasant surprise. I didn't expect to see you here."

"It's opening night," he replied, and almost laughed at her blank expression. "You promised me the best seat in the house, remember?"

"Oh god!" Sudden shock and dismay flashed across her face, her hands pressed to her cheeks, "Oh god, I completely forgot."

"I thought as much." Amused and enjoying her embarrassed flush, Gage took her hand and delighted himself in a brush of his lips against the curve of her knuckles. "You can make it up to me with a later dinner on Tuesday."

"We've gone out twice this week already."

"I need to see you again." He held the silence for one long, steamy beat. "I want to take you on a real date this time. Not a late breakfast, early lunch or an evening with a couple of drinks. I'll even let you decide where we go, if that's what it takes for you to say yes."

"I wish I could, but I've got...wedding stuff." Not an entire lie, she thought. Niobe likely had something planned that she'd forgotten. "Can I take a rain check?"

"Alright," Finished with his drink, he rose from his seat and fished out his wallet. "Why don't you let me know when is good for you? You pick the time, the place—I'll show up."